Painfully slow internet

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new here so first off hello.

I was wondering if I could get some help with a net issue I have thats driving me crazy.

Basically up until a few days ago the net was working fine on my Imac running Leopard however since updating the software things have gone pear shaped.

Symptoms are:

- Firefox and Safari hanging whilst loading pages
- Server not found messages
- General slow net however fast on some pages?

My DNS setting is the same as a Windows laptop I'm using which is working fine.

In addition it's slow through wireless and using an ethernet cable - makes no difference

any help appreciated - pulling my hair out!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5 Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667 MHz DDR2, 17" Hi-Res Display ; iPhone 3G 2.1
Ive had the same problems with safari on my 1 mo. old MBP. The page loads half way then hangs for 10-15 sec. or indefinately, I also have a pc running vista sitting right next to my mbp and on the same network, and it will load the page right away.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I had the same problem - my MacBook would take forever to load pages but once the page was loaded, access speed was normal for my ISP settings. My Windows machine had no problem whatsoever using the same wireless connection.

This is what I did to resolve it: Open up your network preferences and go to the airport settings advanced. Change your DNS settings to "Open DNS".

Use these: Primary DNS = 208.67.222.222
Secondary = 208.67.220.220

Also access your router's WAN settings and put in the same addresses for Primary and Secondary DNS.

See if that helps. It restored my net speeds back to normal. For further
info regarding Open DNS do a Google search.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5 Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667 MHz DDR2, 17" Hi-Res Display ; iPhone 3G 2.1
By changing the DNS addresses, will that effect my ability to connect at other locations, where i am unable to change the routers DNS addresses (i.e. work, and other public locations)?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.