I can't beleive no one has any advice for me???

B

booskaboo

I posted this the other day, and I'm surprised that no one has any advice, so, I'm begging again.....PLEEEEEZ SOMEBODY HELP ME....

Hello, first off, here's my stats
g4 powerbook
500 mhz
1gig sdram

ok, someone please help! Ever since downloading/installing latest update, my g4 now takes a VERY long time to start up. The color wheel (ball) spins for close to 2 minutes (feels like 5 minutes) before finally loading up bar at top of screen. I don't know what else to do, below is what I have tried so far:
1- Ran disk warrior
2- Reset pram
3- used disk utility to repair disk and permisions
4- Used apple care tech tool (hung up on me about 1.5 horus in)
5- did the " -fsck" thing

ANY OTHE SUGGESTIONS??????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
1. dont run disk warrior to rebuild your system unless your mac crashes and stuff is missing after startup. try starting up holding shift to boot without extensions, if it runs as before, you have an extension conflict somewhere, get back to us, if so, well try to track it down.:mac:

OP
B

booskaboo

tried and failed

I tried to start holding down the shift key, but, the colo wheel spun for the same amount of time again.
Any other suggestions?

Macman said:
1. dont run disk warrior to rebuild your system unless your mac crashes and stuff is missing after startup. try starting up holding shift to boot without extensions, if it runs as before, you have an extension conflict somewhere, get back to us, if so, well try to track it down.:mac:

OP
M

meanopause

i dont know if this would help...but...

if you have a lot of fonts installed on your comp that will slow it down big time. try deleting some or get a font manager like suitcase or something.

good luck

OP
B

booskaboo

I'll give it a try

Yes, i do have a lot of fonts, but, I don't seem to remember it slowing down the startup in the past, but, I will try to set up a different user account, and then see if it will load up quicker without those fonts... thanks.

If that doesn't seem to help, then i will try to delete some of my fonts. I hope to be able to try it out tonight, so, I will get back to ya.

ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS OUT THERE?

meanopause said:
i dont know if this would help...but...

if you have a lot of fonts installed on your comp that will slow it down big time. try deleting some or get a font manager like suitcase or something.

good luck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
as Ive recommended many times, DONT use fontbook for font management if you have more than 50-100 fonts tops, get suitcase x1:mac:

OP
B

booskaboo

Ya know, i tried starting up under test user, and it started up pretty darn quick. i don't have many fonts at all, sooooooo whats the next thing to check??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
if it worked fine, I think your admin account may be corrupt, I think the way around that is by making another admin account in user accounts, and transferring/moving everything to
the new account, and either delete the old admin account, or leave it alone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
wait, when you say test user, do you mean you created another user account and used that as the account you login to on startup? if you did, youre main admin account is corrupt, at least its not the whole OS, then youd looking at an erase and install.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.