Firefox 3 Help!! Lost all bookmarks from update!?!?

Reaction score
ok, i upgraded to firefox 3 last night from version 2. I installed it and notice that ALL my bookmarks and shortcuts are gone!!! I assumed that they would stay there and it would just be updated, but apparantly not!!

This has really ticks me off because i had sooo many important links from research etc that i NEED to retrieve them!!

So does anyone have any ideas how i can get my bookmarks and settings back etc.

Btw, will using time machine work? I know you can recover lost files etc, but is it different when you install something. Can i go back and have it load up my old version of firefox?!?!

This has really really has me angry, so i appreciate any help coming my way!! :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I copied my Firefox 2 to another drive. When I dragged the FF3 icon to applications, all my bookmarks showed up. They show in both 2 and 3.

3 though seems to use a different folder. Let me get back to you on where to look. I just might be able to help you find your old bookmarks.

Ok, try looking in Users/username/Library/Application Support/Firefox and expand Profiles. in there is one place FF keeps the bookmarks.html. See if your old one is there. Click on it and open it in a browser and you can see if it's the one you are looking for.

Another place I found it saves to is Users/username/Library/Mozilla/.

Check them both.

Edit: the new FF seems to keep it's bookmark fine in that first folder I told you about above.

Hope some of this help. I would loose it if I lost my bookmarks. My file is years in the making!

OP
O
Reaction score
yep that first method has worked. Thanks for that. At least i know my bookmarks are there.

i open up the latest file and it opens up a page on firefox with links like this in the attachment.

How do i get all these bookmarks to automatically load itself to the right place on firefox? I also have sites that i use everyday on the Bookmarks Toolbar Folder.

cheers:Smirk:

Picture 1.png

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What is the filename of that file with your bookmarks? Firefox uses bookmarks.html

Click on Bookmarks and then on Organize Bookmarks.

Once in there look at the top of that window. You will see a gear looking thing, next some lines then next to that looks like a star. Click on that and on Import. The 4th option is from an HTML file. Point it to your file. It should work.

This URL explains where FF3 puts it's bookmarks. Sneaky of them! :D

http://www.ghacks.net/2008/06/13/how-to-move-the-bookmarks-in-firefox-3/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.