Noisy DVD Drive

Reaction score
Is it normal that the DVD drive in a MacBook Pro is very noisy?

When I put a disc in, everyone in my office cringes as the machine fires it up.

It's quite difficult to describe the sound, but it sounds like the reader head moving around (a motor sound) and a couple of clicks. It all works fine, just sounds horrible when inserting and ejecting discs.

Thanks

Mark

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

It's quite difficult to describe the sound, but it sounds like the reader head moving around (a motor sound) and a couple of clicks. It all works fine, just sounds horrible when inserting and ejecting discs.

Thanks

Mark

That's actually not uncommon for slot-loading optical drives. Both of my MacBook Pros make a whirring noise and some mechanical sounding clunks and clicks upon insertion and ejection. Believe it or not, the new one is louder than the old one.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Try blowing it out with compressed air

I would recommend against that as you might end up blowing dust in places where it wouldn't ordinarily settle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Book
Me 2

Thanks

Mark

I have just moved to Mac with a book and have that same sound maybe not as loud but bad enough (should I think about bringing it back ?)
:Smirk: :Smirk: :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5 2ghz 1.5gb RAM and MBP Core 2 Duo 2.16ghz 2gb RAM
Mine does the same , Its a bit of a bummer but the only thing I dont like about my MBP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.