Why OS X and every single apple application so much better?

Reaction score
The human race is very homogenous: even people from different races have pretty much the same intelligence.

Then explain to me the reason behind the following statements, which BTW are all 100% true:

Why OS X is not 2, 3, but about 10-fold better in EVERY WAY than MS Vista?
Why is XCode a million times better than MS visual studio?
Why is Safari 2x faster and more stable than Winblows Exploder?
Why iWorks v.2 blow MS Office v.100 to kingdom come in almost every way (ok except perhaps some Excel features which are still unsurpassed?)
Why is Cocoa Touch revolutionizing human-machine interfaces while Windows answer to everything is to put more buttons on the mouse (which by the way was invented by apple)?
Why is iLife app suite the standard by which Picasa, MS Craplook, Fartdora, and all the other garbagapplications for PC are judged?
Why Macs run 10 applications simultaneously with zero hiccups while Winblows boxes with MORE GHz beg for mercy if you walk and chew gum at the same time?
Why Macs are productive workhorses right out of the box while EVERY SINGLE PC MANUFACTURER preinstalls at least 10 GB of useless bloatware and comes with nothing useful so you have to install at least 10 applications from 10 different companies using 10 different GUI styles and 10 different file formats and 10 different drivers with 10 different versions to do essentially the same thing Leopard did since version 1?
Why Vista takes 10 minutes to boot up?
Why people still buy PCs?
Why?
?
?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Because Apple cares about quality whereas Microsoft cares about quantity?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
...all of those points are based on opinion and/or circumstance.

We wouldn't be where we are today without Microsoft and bashing them does absolutely nothing.

Also, the mouse wasn't invented by Apple. It was invented at Stanford University and first shipped with a Xerox.

EDIT:
Okay, the point about Internet Explorer is true. It truly is the devil.

OP
T
Reaction score
...all of those points are based on opinion and/or circumstance.

We wouldn't be where we are today without Microsoft and bashing them does absolutely nothing.

Also, the mouse wasn't invented by Apple. It was invented at Stanford University and first shipped with a Xerox.

EDIT:
Okay, the point about Internet Explorer is true. It truly is the devil.

All subjective matters are based on opinion. However, some studies do quantify productivity and Macs always come ahead by some large margin. But it is more simple than that. I am talking from experience. I was able to accomplish a huge amount of work in 1 day that would have taken me at least 2 days with a PC due to random crap like the 100 random updates on the 100 applications that are required to do a thing well.

The mouse designed for use with a GUI in a personal computer was first done by Apple.

Stop splitting hairs here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's not splitting hairs, that was correcting a false statement that you made.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.33GHz C2D, 2GB RAM
All subjective matters are based on opinion. However, some studies do quantify productivity and Macs always come ahead by some large margin.

Always? Not quite always. Although I do agree with just about the entirety of your original post, XCode's IDE only just managed in its very latest version to catch up to that of Visual Studio in many areas, and I'm not ready to say it has surpassed it yet. For example, XCode only added mouse-over variable value popups during debugging in the newest version, something which Visual Studio has had for several versions now. And Visual Studio's version of autocompletion (a.k.a. "Intellisense") is still a bit better than even the newest version of XCode, I'd have to say.

If you want to quantify Apple's superiority to Microsoft, the first step is to be able to give the latter credit in one of the (few?) areas where it has merited it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Apple cares about their customers. They listen to them. And when they ask for change, Apple fixes it. Everyone is happy.

Where as M$'s strategy is to just release a bunch of service packs they *think* will help.

$$$

OP
T
Reaction score
If you want to quantify Apple's superiority to Microsoft, the first step is to be able to give the latter credit in one of the (few?) areas where it has merited it.

The only area Microsoft has surpassed Apple is on managing to bundle their OS with a larger number of new computers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Then explain to me the reason behind the following statements, which BTW are all 100% my opinion:

...There, fixed that for ya. ;):)

Seriously, these Microsoft vs. Apple threads get really tiresome after a while.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
If that's the case, why are they more machines running XP than Tiger or Leopard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Oh dear... these kind of Apple slobber-fests make me want to resign from the human race; or at the very least, move to Linux.

There are some amazing reasons to use a Mac - OS X, Logic Pro and the integration of the iLife apps. But in reality, many Mac users use other software (apart from Apple apps), such as Firefox and MS Office (sorry, it is far superior to iWork in terms of functionality - that's a fact, not an opinion).

Additionally, there are still things missing. Productivity software like Visio and MS Project (puh-lease don't mention Omni-planner...), plus why does Quicken Mac lack features Windows Quicken has had since the 1990s, and why do apps like iBank have insane features like being able to see your bills through coverflow, but entirely lack the ability to pay them! :Angry-Tongue:

I love my Mac, but it's not perfect, there is still a way to go. I think some developers still think all Mac users are either Studio pros or fanboys that will use any old crap. With more users coming onto the platform, people will become more discerning.

While Vista may be a mess, XP was ok and many Windows applications are pretty nice, thanks to the number of developers on the platform.

OP
T
Reaction score
There are some amazing reasons to use a Mac - OS X, Logic Pro and the integration of the iLife apps. But in reality, many Mac users use other software (apart from Apple apps), such as Firefox and MS Office (sorry, it is far superior to iWork in terms of functionality - that's a fact, not an opinion).

Funny, because after doing tons of research on this issue I switched from Office to iWork and couldn't have been happier. The ONLY thing Offices does better is that certain Excel functions are still not available in Numbers, THAT IS IT.

I think you should take a look at the new version of iWork, seriously.

Quicken for mac was poor because they quit developing for mac. Now they are back. We will see what they come up with. The same is true for other developers, sometimes it doesn't make sense to develop for a platform that has a tiny percentage of market. But the funny thing is that whenever somebody does create something for mac, even if it is a small effort or a small company, the results are often better than windows PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Funny, because after doing tons of research on this issue I switched from Office to iWork and couldn't have been happier. The ONLY thing Offices does better is that certain Excel functions are still not available in Numbers, THAT IS IT.

I downloaded the 30-day trial the day it was released, and then again after I installed Leopard for another 30-days (I know, that's bad). Anyway, the first thing I needed to do at that time was write up an SLA agreement for a project I was working on, and the very first thing I tried to do was create the headings and their associated numbers.

e.g.

1.0 - Big heading
1.1 - Sub-heading
1.2 - Sub-heading
1.2.1 - Little Sub-heading
1.2.2 - Another little sub-heading

After this, you should just be able to select the numbered heading you want, and it would follow on. So after the above, if I select Big Heading, it would be number 2.0. In pages though, it is numbered 1.2.3... useless. If you've ever written legal or corporate documents, or even worse edited them, you'd know this functionality is core. It shows the difference between Apple's target market, and Microsoft's.

Secondly, what about citations? You cannot simply set up 9 references in Pages, and then click them when you reference them, plus have a dynamic RTF or XML version of this that can create an automated Bibliography or Appendix. For ANY academic work, this is critical. Look at the top of this review for the screen shots

http://www.appleinsider.com/article..._office_2008_word_08_vs_pages_3_0.html&page=3

The page layout features are better in Pages, agreed.

Quicken for mac was poor because they quit developing for mac. Now they are back. We will see what they come up with. The same is true for other developers, sometimes it doesn't make sense to develop for a platform that has a tiny percentage of market. But the funny thing is that whenever somebody does create something for mac, even if it is a small effort or a small company, the results are often better than windows PC.

Well Quicken has always been way behind the PC version, 2005, 2006 and 2007 versions in particular. So it's not true to say the reason for this is that they had quit development. Quicken 2007 (released at the end of 2006) was significantly worse than Quicken 1998 or even MS Money 1999 - lacking simple things like multicurrency accounts(!).

Apps like iBank always look amazing (thanks to Cocoa/Aqua), but they often lack depth. Perhaps the reason is the relatively small market share, but when you look at applications like Aperture, CS3, Logic Pro, Ableton Live, the excuses seem irrelevant.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Secondly, what about citations? You cannot simply set up 9 references in Pages, and then click them when you reference them, plus have a dynamic RTF or XML version of this that can create an automated Bibliography or Appendix. For ANY academic work, this is critical. Look at the top of this review for the screen shots

I've gotta admit, that feature is a godsend. As if I weren't lazy enough, Microsoft went ahead and made my life even easier. I really prefer Office over iWork for its far superior functionality.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I have both and have used both. Office 2008 is better than iWork in my opinion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.33GHz C2D, 2GB RAM
The only area Microsoft has surpassed Apple is on managing to bundle their OS with a larger number of new computers.

Pure hyperbole. Actually, I think Tauron may in fact actually be a Windows fan and Bill Gates worshipper who is trolling in an effort to make Mac users look like drooling, unthinking fanboys instead of the discerning bunch that we really are.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.