incorrect number of thread records

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 imacs, 2 iphones, 1 ipad
Having had my powermac G5 in sleep for most of a day i came home, worked on it, then shutdown. I was in a rush so didn't close the programs but otherwise shutdown in the normal way.

the next morning the G5 wouldn't load up.

I put the leopard disk in and ran disk utility. at first it wouldn't see the hard disk side of my hard drive (the disk is partitioned into storage (for files) and hard disk (for applications etc))

after a while it would see it but wouldnt repair saying invalid volume file count, unable to repair after 3 attempts.

I ran this several times but to no avail.

I then restarted without the leopard disk. It grey screened for ages but i left it and after a while it started up, but now, the computer is running very slow and constantly sounds like it's working on something, even when nothing is running. The general ticking sound of the hard drive can be heard.

When i run the verify (repair no longer available) i get the following errors:

Verifying volume “HARD DISK”

Performing live verification.
Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Incorrect number of thread records
Incorrect number of thread records

Checking multi-linked files.
Checking Catalog hierarchy.
Invalid volume file count
(It should be 564259 instead of 564260)
Checking Extended Attributes file.
Checking volume bitmap.
Checking volume information.
The volume HARD DISK needs to be repaired.

Error: Filesystem verify or repair failed.

I daren't shut the computer down again in case it won't start up again and (sod's law) i have loads of work to be doing. all files are backed up.

Anyone any ideas how to fix this? I've seen the odd suggestion of running an fsk or something but fear i am not competent enough to start messing on with unix.

Any suggestions most welcome.

I am running Mac OSX 10.5.3 if that helps??

Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Your disk's file system is corrupt. fsck may not be able to fix it, but you can try.
The "easiest" way would be to backup anything you need and do an Erase and install. Using the system "as is" may cause more corruption.

Reaction score
Disc Warrior solves Incorrect number of thread records

It has happened a number of times on my Dual 2 G5 running Leopard. I even went out and bought a new internal system drive and restored from Time Machine.

Happened 2 more times. Last time was after a freeze upon completing a DVD archive from an external drive using Toast.

Start up from Disc Warrior disc and rebuild. Worked for me.

Rick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.