help with purchase

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.25 mirror front
I found this on one of my forums I frequent, It looks like a great deal but I already have 2 G4's with dual 1.25 processors that are getting old and Im considering an intel processor for a new one, would this be a good computer & what do you think about the repair?
I hope its Ok to post this here the buyers & sellers would know more about this than I would

thanks
dennis
I am selling my Apple G5 Dual 2 ghz computer (2.5GB Memory) along with the (acrylic) 23" Cinema Display. I take care of my gear and this is no different. Both look brand new although they are 4 years old.

Here's the deal.

1) The logic board on this needs to be replaced. This is not a huge deal to do and otherwise, the tower and everything else is fine. For $550 (which includes S&H) you can send it to: http://www.dttservice.com/appledesktops/powermacg5.html and they will replace it. So keep that cost in mind. They are Apple Certified so you know you're getting quality service/parts.

2) No hard drive included. This is to your advantage actually in that you can get one of your own choosing. Buy one at NewEgg.com and you can get a 750GB drive for $120 now! Tower is able to have 2 internal drives.

I have original boxes for this. Will include a Tiger OSX DVD for it too. Has a Radeon 64mb video card and I have never needed more. I did Photoshop work with this and some video editing and never felt underpowered at all. I have considered getting this logic board replaced on my own but, use my laptop for all my needs now. It's a great looking and running system. I take care of my gear and it shows. No scratches, dents etc;. Cinema Display has no dead pixels and is still a very good LCD monitor.

New, this was $5000. I used it as my "Photoshop Machine" primarily. Like I said, I use my MacBook Pro now and am cleaning out my office. If the idea of the logic board freaks you out a bit, it really shouldn't. If this were a PC I could easily replace the motherboard but, Apple's are different here. It's just more labor intensive and the logic boards cost more ( a decent PC motherboard would be about $150).

So, if you want a "Photoshop Machine" this would be ideal. Factoring in the cost to replace the logic board I am selling it for a very reasonable $850 + S&H. Feel free to ask me any questions. I'll supply photos if you want them. I could probably manage to throw in some extras too. I'll look around and see what I have.

Thanks for reading the long post. I felt it necessary.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
personally i dont want to buy someone else's problem. if it was all this easy then why wouldn't the seller just fix it before they sell it?

also if i were able to get an intel machine then that is without question what i would do. there are rumors already that the new OS Snow Leopard, which might be out by the beginning of next year or so, may not support PPC but intel only macs. even if snow does you can bet the next OS update won't so you might as well get something that is going to able to get the latest updates for as long as possible.

looks like you keep your macs for some time so you might as well spend your money on something that will last.

good luck

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.25 mirror front
personally i dont want to buy someone else's problem. if it was all this easy then why wouldn't the seller just fix it before they sell it?

also if i were able to get an intel machine then that is without question what i would do. there are rumors already that the new OS Snow Leopard, which might be out by the beginning of next year or so, may not support PPC but intel only macs. even if snow does you can bet the next OS update won't so you might as well get something that is going to able to get the latest updates for as long as possible.

looks like you keep your macs for some time so you might as well spend your money on something that will last.

good luck

thanks Thats kind of the way I was leaning, I have a Photography studio & withy the increase in file sizes I think the intel processor would be a benefit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Steer clear. Needs logic board no HDD really has failed and been gutted.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.25 mirror front
Thanks guys I decided against it

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.