Master password - no idea

Reaction score
I created a second account on my computer to keep the files I want secure, and I filevaulted it. When logging in, I noticed that I didn't necessarily need the login pass, but I could also use the "master password" to get in.

I have no idea what the master password is, and I'd rather just have one way into that account anyway. Does the master pass just give you the keychain info? Because I know I didn't save the login in there, so that would be fine.

I just want to make sure I don't have a super simple password floating around that can let someone in everywhere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Go to System Preferences> Security> FileVault.

Is the Master password set?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The master password apparently lets you unlock any file vaulted account on the computer, I'm guessing in case you forget your login so you're not completely stuck.

Go to Library/Keychains/ and delete the file called 'FileVaultMaster.keychain'. Go back to System Preferences> Security> Filevault and set a new one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am awaiting my new one. :D.
Love how MacOSX allows you to do a lot of stuff like this that idiotic Windows doesn't. I [heart] Mac. :D.

Jacob.

OP
T
Reaction score
Doesn't this mean than anyone can do this? So my filevaulted account is only as secure as my other account?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would have thought that since the master password is stored within your filevault account that is it secure. Your other account shouldn't have access to it.

You can double check by signing in to the other account and looking in the same folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That still doesn't exactly compromise your security. Even if someone else can delete the password it just means they can't override your filevault password.

And if you don't want people accessing your info or are that worried about security you just shouldn't let them use your computer.

OP
T
Reaction score
So security isn't all that important? I don't think apple would let it be like that. There's gotta be something I'm missing.

And yes, I do need it to be secure. I'm talking fbi-secure

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you tried setting a new master password with your filevault account and then deleting it with your other account?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.