Help on photo book

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum but not new to Macs, but unfortunately I still don't know what I'm doing! I'm trying to create a photo book and have two questions...

1. Is it possible to add text to pages without a specific area for text in the layout design? Example: on the template I am currently using, for a three picture layout there isn't a spot for text. But I want text. Is there a way around this? Am I using the wrong program for what I want to do? (Just using iPhoto). My intention is to create a book - with pictures obviously :) - but it progresses in a story.

2. What is the general cost for a photo book? I do not want to go the traditional route of printing pictures and doing this thing by hand (creating it for the kids) - but as I am frustrated at the limitations for text I'm beginning to wonder about cost if the thing isn't going to turn out the way I want it to anyway. So...any ideas on cost would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Chantel

Reaction score
1. I am afraid that is only problem when creating an iPhoto book - how you can only use their themes and layouts. My only suggestion would be to use an application like Gimp, or something slightly less complicated, add your text and save it as an image file.

2. Apple has its list of prices for all iPhoto print products here. I have created two spiral-bound books and they certainly make nice gifts. There are pictures of finished products on that page as well.

Hope this helps

OP
C
Reaction score
Thank You

Thanks for your help. I was afraid you were going to say that about the text but I appreciate the input - at least now I can stop banging my head against the wall trying to figure it out :)

And thanks for the link as well. :)
Chantel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
Do you have or ever use Microsoft Word? You can import photos into it and thereby have both the photos and the accompanying text. If you don't have or want to buy Office 2007 (for Windows, to use with Boot Camp or in Parallels) or 2008 (for OS X), there are free Mac comparables like neoOffice...

Hope you find what you need,

Noel

EDIT: I bought Office 2008 for the Mac from Amazon.com for about $125 shipped. Includes Word, Excel, Entourage and Power Point. I bought the Windows version (2007) for about the same from Amazon, only difference is Outlook instead of Entourage.

Reaction score
is this Iphoto service available in the UK? if so , how long does it take normaly for a book to be created.
I ask as im still waiting for my new mac and the wifes birthday is fast coming round. Ill have a week and a half from when I get my mac to get a photobook of some sort sorted. Will that be long enough for them to process the order? ( assuming this is available to UK )

Reaction score
is this Iphoto service available in the UK? if so , how long does it take normaly for a book to be created.
I ask as im still waiting for my new mac and the wifes birthday is fast coming round. Ill have a week and a half from when I get my mac to get a photobook of some sort sorted. Will that be long enough for them to process the order? ( assuming this is available to UK )

Yep, it certainly is. Here is the pricing list. Here is what Apple say in their conformational email:

Books, cards, and calendars will be delivered from abroad in 10-14 business days. Business days exclude Saturdays, Sundays, and national holidays.
I am afraid I can't remember exactly how long it takes for it to arrive :Oops: (I'm in the UK too). So it is up to you as the only information I have is directly from Apple.

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum but not new to Macs, but unfortunately I still don't know what I'm doing! I'm trying to create a photo book and have two questions...

1. Is it possible to add text to pages without a specific area for text in the layout design? Example: on the template I am currently using, for a three picture layout there isn't a spot for text. But I want text. Is there a way around this? Am I using the wrong program for what I want to do? (Just using iPhoto). My intention is to create a book - with pictures obviously :) - but it progresses in a story.

Chantel

You can add text to a book, depending on which Theme you use, it can be a full page with just text or it can be on a page with photos.. After you chose your theme click on Layout and you will find pages with different layouts, some will have a place for your text others you will find under Layout > Introduction...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.