Snow Leopard 10.6, will this be the chance for apple getting into the gaming market

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook: 2.16 CPU/2GB RAM
I according to what I read at Apple's website, there was something there that said Open CL which lets developers get inside of the GPU.

Could this bring about more games to the mac?

What are some of your guys thoughts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The lack of games on the Mac has nothing to do with Apple but rather has to do with games developers and them being tied to Microsoft's DirectX. Apple can add in all sorts of technologies, but until games developers switch to the more universal OpenGL, don't expect gaming to improve on either Macs or Linux.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
but until games developers switch to the more universal OpenGL, don't expect gaming to improve on either Macs or Linux.

OpenGL is dead, it's all about Core Image and Core Animation now.

Xer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Aluminum 24", MacBook White
Don't forget, It's hard for the gaming industry to develop games for Mac cuz the users just can't upgrade their video cards (not relating to Mac Pro).

I mean, if u got an iMac now with Radeon HD 2600XT, in 1.5 years the new games will just run bad on it...

Unlike PC where gamers can just upgrade their video cards whenever they want.

Reaction score
Actually no. Games could run find on the Mac. Just buy the mac you can afford and nice games for it and be happy.

The reason why PCs dominate games is because they are cheaper, period. It is hard to justify $1500 and WAY up for a Mac with a custom GPU to run games. But it is easy to justify $600 for a PC to play games.

Today, I would say the niches are more or less as follows:

- PC: kids and young adults who want to play games and do the occasional homework
- Mac: professionals who need serious efficiency and productivity at work

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Wow, talk about an incorrect generalization....

Reaction score
Actually no. Games could run find on the Mac. Just buy the mac you can afford and nice games for it and be happy.

The reason why PCs dominate games is because they are cheaper, period. It is hard to justify $1500 and WAY up for a Mac with a custom GPU to run games. But it is easy to justify $600 for a PC to play games.

Today, I would say the niches are more or less as follows:

- PC: kids and young adults who want to play games and do the occasional homework
- Mac: professionals who need serious efficiency and productivity at work

I agree with your first 2 points but the generalizations you made about "niches" are just totally off. More college students, young adults, and people who actually pay for their own hardware are switching to Macs being that Vista is the worst operating system ever created. I would GUESS that even younger kids are telling their parents that they would rather have a Mac too.

Gaming wise EA has been putting out all of their games on Mac. Blizzard, arguably the best computer gaming company ever, will always release their games for Mac. The only problem is you have to order all the games online or you have to go to the Apple store for a good selection because Best Buy does not have a great selection =P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Jobs said that SL would just include improved security and OS stability. Yes, the CPU being able to access and use the GPU was also said to be in SL.

I don't know why games has to be brought up all the time.

SORRY for double posting =[

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Don't forget, It's hard for the gaming industry to develop games for Mac cuz the users just can't upgrade their video cards (not relating to Mac Pro).

I mean, if u got an iMac now with Radeon HD 2600XT, in 1.5 years the new games will just run bad on it...

Unlike PC where gamers can just upgrade their video cards whenever they want.

True this. But look at the video gaming market. Each Nintendo or Xbox released is rather unupgradable but that hasn't stopped game developers from making games for them. It just means they have to think of more ways of utilising the system they are developing for. And the average video game system lasts for a few years at least before a new one replaces it.

I think the computer game developers need to stop making games with the best systems in mind and target their games towards the average computer people have. Then they'd get a lot more sales. And I'm sure with a little code development they could squeeze good games into those quite good still (but not the best) computers.

And also I think we're forgetting the casual gaming market. Most of these games will run on a integrated graphics card. But some of the newer ones are really innovative.

I think they are forgetting the golden here. "Try to work smarter and not harder." And get the computers who will be running the games to do the same.

Reaction score
I agree with your first 2 points but the generalizations you made about "niches" are just totally off. More college students, young adults, and people who actually pay for their own hardware are switching to Macs being that Vista is the worst operating system ever created. I would GUESS that even younger kids are telling their parents that they would rather have a Mac too.

Gaming wise EA has been putting out all of their games on Mac. Blizzard, arguably the best computer gaming company ever, will always release their games for Mac. The only problem is you have to order all the games online or you have to go to the Apple store for a good selection because Best Buy does not have a great selection =P

You may be correct there. With Vista it became that much harder to swallow PC's and their bullshit windows environment.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.