drive access

Reaction score
Brand new mac user here, just brought home a new G5 today and having a lot of fun with it. I was under the impression that the mac could read a fat formatted hard drive, is this the case or not. I have an external hard drive that I have a lot of files on I was hoping to be able to transfer over. The files were all transfered from a windows machine running Xp.

It is a usb external fat formatted and when i plug it into a usb port on the front of the G5 a box comes up saying something about I have plugged in a drive it can't read and then goes away leaving me no way to see or get the files... Am i doing something wrong or won't the mac read a fat formated drive?

Thanks for any help...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
The Mac can read and write FAT32, and read NTFS. I'm not sure if it can read FAT16, as I never tried, but the last Windows using FAT16 was Win95, Win98 used FAT32.
So if yourMac can't read the drive, there's something else wrong, I guess

OP
James
Reaction score
Avalon said:
The Mac can read and write FAT32, and read NTFS. I'm not sure if it can read FAT16, as I never tried, but the last Windows using FAT16 was Win95, Win98 used FAT32.
So if yourMac can't read the drive, there's something else wrong, I guess

Thanks for letting me know. I was sure i had heard it could do fat32, but I've only been a mac user for a couple of hours and wasn't sure. The drive is formatted in fat32 so evidently there is another problem here. Possibly the drive has gone out... can you blame it after 4 years under windows....(G)

This G5 is great, the more I use it the better I like it.

OP
James
Reaction score
Solved

Ok, I've been using the Mac for 4 days now so I am now a Mac Pro....(G)

Figured out what the problem was with the Mac not reading my Fat 32 external hard drive... The drive didn't have a volume name so Mac won't read it... Gave the drive a 5 letter volume name and presto all of a sudden there was an icon on the screen for that drive and I was able to retrieve all the files I wanted.

Day 4 and lovin it !! :cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.