What to bring with me to Apple store?

Reaction score
I'm going to be bring in my macbook pro tomorrow for them to check what this strange buzzing sound from the top right off the keyboard is. I purchased it only last saturday so it's only been about 4 or 5 days. What do I need to bring in with me, so that they can work on it and possibly give me a replacement laptop. Thanks. If they do give me a replacement laptop, do I need to return the box and whatnot? Or do I just exchange the laptop for a new one? I read on the apple site I need to bring my power adaptor and laptop.

also is it easy to get a replacement? Are they reluctent to give a replacement? Because I'm not sure if they'll be able to here the little buzzing noise in the apple store. I think they will but I'm not sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz i7 (2013) | 15"MacBook Pro 2.6GHz (2018) both OS 10.14.1 | iPhone 6 OS 12.1
you dont need to take anything apart from the laptop...you should register with your serial number on the apple website if you havent already done so...

your serial number can be found by either clicking on "about this mac" from the apple menu or under your battery...
(click where it tells you the os version in about this mac eg. 10.5.3)

the rest of your questions can be answered by the apple care people...they will check to see if the problem is severe enough to replace the laptop...if not if the part that is causing the problem needs replacement...they will not be reluctant if the problem requires replacement...

OP
W
Reaction score
Since it is within 14 days do you think I can just get a replacement eather way? And you say that I don't need to bring the box or anything in right? just the laptop and charger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Bring everything- the box has a handle on it, no? Safer than handholding a laptop.

OP
W
Reaction score
well i have a case for the laptop would it be ok to just bring it in that? Or do I need the box if I end up getting a replacement.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Bring the original box and materials but keep them in the trunk of your car in the event the Apple genius asks you for them. Only take the machine into the store. If the machine needs to be swapped out they'll tell you if they need the original packing and other items that came with it. BTW, the strange buzzing sound might be a defective fan. And... leave your carry case at home. :Smirk:

Regards.

OP
W
Reaction score
Ok well I took it in today. And the genius who was helping me took it into the back and tried to here the sound. He spent about 20 minutes back there before he came back, and said he didn't notice anything out of the ordinary really. I'm still not sure if he heard it because my parents can't here it but I can so.. who knows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 14gb ram 24" LED Cd & 23" Cd
maybe the buzzing is in your head?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
My suggestion is to continue using the laptop as though there is no problem with its operation (as it sounds like there is none). If a component fails, a Genius will then easily be able to tell what it was. The laptop remains under warranty for a year after purchase. I suggest purchasing AppleCare before the end of that year to extend your coverage.

Reaction score
Strange, ideally, as your MBP is brand spanking new, I'd be taking it back to the sales desk and asking for a replacement.

With a purchase so new you should be covered by some kind of consumer protection (28 days here in the UK), and therefore should be entitled to a direct replacement.

The MB I bought to replace my iB, the Y key was stiff, meaning I'd be ferociously typing away... look up at the screen, and there'd be no Ys anywhere - I tried to live with it for a few days - but eventually took it back to for a replacement. I obviously said I was very sorry/tried to live with it yadayadayada, but I got a fresh one there and then, they took my details and were very apologetic.

Basically, if I were in your position, I wouldn't be wasting my time, messing around with people who claim not to hear anything - it'd be going straight back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.