OS X reinstallation

Reaction score
Dear all, i got an iMac G5 with the following info

Product No. IMacG5 17"/1.9/512MB/160GB/SD/AP/BT
Serial No. W8546RH5TA0

I tried installing Tiger 10.4.6 but its not letting me booting from the DVD.

Tried pressing the D whilist booting but nothing, i also went into the setup panel or what is it called ( the one you boot with the option key ) where you have a circled clockwise arrow and a right arrow + in the middle there was the icon of the OSX DVD "Mac OS X Install DVD" tried clicking on it and nothing, tried clicking on it and than on the right arrow and went in the grey screen with apple logo with some lines underneath showing that something is happening, after a while the apple transfors into a like stop sign with the lines still cerculating as if something is still happening. Left it a bit this way but nothing happened. Please help

Reaction score
I'm not sure what the problem is, esp. when it didn't work when you used the option key to start. But I thought you would press c to start directly from the disk?

OP
S
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the problem is, esp. when it didn't work when you used the option key to start. But I thought you would press c to start directly from the disk?

It wont start with the C, thats the first thing i tried.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Tried pressing the D whilist booting but nothing
It wont start with the C, thats the first thing i tried.
So you started up by pressing which key... the "D" or the "C"?
There is a big difference in the two... and not just because they are different letters. ;) :)

The C key forces the Mac to start up from an optical disc drive.
The D key forces the Mac to start up from the internal hard disk.

Your first post clearly states that you were using the "D" key, which would account for the failure to boot from the install disc.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Dear all, i got an iMac G5 with the following info

Product No. IMacG5 17"/1.9/512MB/160GB/SD/AP/BT
Serial No. W8546RH5TA0

I tried installing Tiger 10.4.6 but its not letting me booting from the DVD.

Tried pressing the D whilist booting but nothing, i also went into the setup panel or what is it called ( the one you boot with the option key ) where you have a circled clockwise arrow and a right arrow + in the middle there was the icon of the OSX DVD "Mac OS X Install DVD" tried clicking on it and nothing, tried clicking on it and than on the right arrow and went in the grey screen with apple logo with some lines underneath showing that something is happening, after a while the apple transfors into a like stop sign with the lines still cerculating as if something is still happening. Left it a bit this way but nothing happened. Please help

It sounds like you purchased a used machine. Is the disc that you're attempting to use, the original one that came with the machine? Be aware that there are two distinct versions of Tiger - one for Intel machines and one for PPC machines. Since this is a G5, you'll need the one for PPC machines.

OP
S
Reaction score
i tried the c i tired the d i tried almost all the keyboard :)

How can i know if its a X86 tiger or a Mac based tiger?

Thanks for helping

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i tried the c i tired the d i tried almost all the keyboard :)

How can i know if its a X86 tiger or a Mac based tiger?

Thanks for helping

Where did the disc come from?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i bought it from a friend of mine he said its an open software

No, actually, it's not. You'll need to purchase a retail copy of OS X (either Tiger or Leopard). Alternatively, you can contact Apple and request replacement system discs. They should cost around $40.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.