Always rebooting new Belkin Router

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3
hi from Chiangmai
My new Belkin wireless router is very unreliable, if I close down my macbook then when I start again I usually have to reboot the router to get connected.....(not always).

I have the correct firmware, and reconfigured after installation.
I have moved to channel 11, well away from the other local wireless network on 1.

Sometimes the connection just drops though often runs until I close down.

I have a clue which might point to the answer:
I just came home, opened the laptop, waited.........no wireless signal. (The wireless, adsl and internet lights were on on the router).
Here's the interesting bit......I connected the ethernet cable to the router, the LAN light came on.........but still no connection!! So it's not a wireless problem per se....it's an internet connection problem isn't it??
If I reboot it always connects.

Any ideas??
thanx John

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3
It's also interesting that as I said, the wireless light is on the router when I open Macbook, but Macbook doesn't pick up the signal. Double strange that if I use the ethernet cable connection I also don't connect (unless I reboot).

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sounds like a bad router to me - either that or a configuration issue with your DSL modem. Have you contacted your ISP for support?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What modem Belkin router is this?

Reason I ask is a friend bought a lower end belkin and had the same issues and always had to reset the thing. He got another brand and his issues went away.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3
Belkin F5D 7632-4 ver7000ak

This morning there were three light
POWER
ADSL
INTERNET
no wireless.
I connected the ethernet cable. Nothing happened no LAN light no wireless light UNTIL I pulled the power on the router for a few seconds after which everything was fine after a minute all lights correct and fully connected.

Thanx

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Any chance you can return or exchange that router? Seems faulty to me.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3
Well the interesting thing is I often used to get knocked off my old D-Link router. Therefore I'm loathe to just chop and change, rather find out the problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.