Resetting/Removing Open Firmware password

Reaction score
OK, so i was given a Powermac G4 that my buddy didn't want anymore. He took his HDD, so I put in an 80GB i had lying around. I then tried to boot from the OS

BUT

I've determined that the open firmware password is enabled...and of course my friend didn't know/remember he did that :Sleeping:

I have tried removing/adding RAM DIMMS and then trying to reset the PRAM. It doesnt work. In fact none of the fixes i have found have worked for me.

Some one help!

OP
M
Reaction score
NEVERMIND!

I cant believe i made such a simple mistake....

I supposed if one tries to use a DVD, make sure you are actually using a DVD Drive, and not a CD-ROM drive...;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Drat you beat me! Great and yes a DVD drive would help with an install DVD.

Reaction score
I am having a similar problem! cant get past the blinking question mark/folder that comes up! i put in a install disc in the DVD drive, but nothing happens!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I am having a similar problem! cant get past the blinking question mark/folder that comes up! i put in a install disc in the DVD drive, but nothing happens!
Did you reboot your system with the install media in the drive and held down the c key?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.