Firewire transfer of files-PB G4 (tiger) to iMac (leopard)

Reaction score
Firewire transfer of files (powerbook to iMac)

I am trying to put files from my Powerbook G4 (Tiger) to my new iMac (Leopard) using a 6 pin firewire cable. After connecting the cable to each machine, I start the G4 up while pushing the T key (as instructed). The G4 then displays the proper firewire icon on the screen, and the iMac now shows a new hard drive as I expected. However, I don't see the contents of the G4 in it. The G4 required a password to open the hard drive contents, but I have since deleted it. When starting the G4 since that time, it still brings up the screen as though it expects a password to be entered, however just hitting the "return" key will then allow it to proceed. Since you can't do that when the firewire cable is attached (since you start it while pushing the T key) is that the problem?

OP
J
Reaction score
I am trying to put files from my Powerbook G4 (Tiger) to my new iMac (Leopard) using a 6 pin firewire cable. After connecting the cable to each machine, I start the G4 up while pushing the T key (as instructed). The G4 then displays the proper firewire icon on the screen, and the iMac now shows a new hard drive as I expected. However, I don't see the contents of the G4 in it. The G4 required a password to open the hard drive contents, but I have since deleted it. When starting the G4 since that time, it still brings up the screen as though it expects a password to be entered, however just hitting the "return" key will then allow it to proceed. Since you can't do that when the firewire cable is attached (since you start it while pushing the T key) is that the problem?

OP
J
Reaction score

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.