iBook G4 Power Up Issues

Reaction score
Hi All,

My sister recently gave me an old 12-inch iBook G4 that she had lying around the house, telling me that it didn't work. I believed otherwise and started tinkering - I then noticed something quite odd...the iBook would only power up when I tilted the power socket in such a way that it indicated "green." The iBook would remain on until I bumped the power socket, prompting it to indicate it was charging by displaying an "amber" light. Despite the fact that the computer is still plugged in, it just completely dies. Can anyone tell me what's up? I'd love to get this thing working...

Thanks,

Hunt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
You have some class of loose connection. I had the same problem with my G3 Clamshell - I could wiggle it until it went green, hold it there, but if I moved it the connection broke the it would shutdown because the battery was decrepit and dead.

So I'm not entirely sure what to suggest. I opened mine up and had a peek around that whole plug area there, ended up bending the socket back into shape - but it could be a number of things.

You could also replace the battery so it won't die instantly when the power gives out.

Or use a lot of sellotape...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
300mhz 192mb 6gb
did looking around inside and bending the prong back up work? what happens if the prongs were to brake off?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Gave it a bit of a squeeze. It helped, but it didn't totally fix things.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.