Tiger on 466mhz clamshell iBook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
I'm thinking of buying an iBook G3 466mhz off ebay. It comes with 10.3.9, could I upgrade that to Tiger? From what i can tell it should work.... G3, firewire, DVD drive, the 256mb of ram is easily upgraded and i'll probably stick in a 512mb stick too. Since I'd do a fresh install i'll have the 10gb drive tottally free and I'll use an external drive to put any large files on, such as music or videos etc. What I'm asking is if osx 19.4 can be installed? And what osx 10.4 discs do I need? The full retail ones?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Tiger will work for the iBook. And you will need the full retail version (black with a X on it) and not the gray restore disks. (they are machine specific)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
I would strongly suggest adding more RAM personally.....even if you can just get it to 512Mb it'll be a lot nicer than 256.....just speaking from experience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
466MHz will not get you far. DVD playback on those clamshells isn't any good even with that tiny screen. I had a few of those a couple of years ago and sold them immediately. They are cool looking but that's about it. WAY overpriced.
Tiger will work if it has a FireWire port.

OP
Chimpur
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
I'm not getting this as a main laptop. thats what my Macbook is for. the ibook is just sorta a spare or something to let guests use... plus I've always wanted one and loved the looks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 2.4ghz Peryn 4 gig
I agree with nbrowser, if you find that 256 mb of ram suits your purpose fine, but 512 would make a world of difference speed wise. It did for my Lombard G3 powerbook which has a 400 mghz processor.

Reaction score
Hi

Trying to recycle an old Clamshell iBook to run Spotify or Napster I installed Tiger. All seemed to go ok, but I can only get Software Update to take me as far as 10.2.8

I was expecting Software Update to keep updating until I reach 10.4

It's a 466 MHz PowerPC G3.

Have I got something wrong?

Many thanks for any ideas

OP
Chimpur
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
Ah, No. 1.2.8 is the last version on Jaguar. To get Tiger (10.4) You'll need to get a Tiger Disc to upgrade what you have to Tiger. Can find them on ebay. See if you have DVD drive on your iBook. Because there are Tiger discs on CD' and on a DVD.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi

Trying to recycle an old Clamshell iBook to run Spotify or Napster I installed Tiger. All seemed to go ok, but I can only get Software Update to take me as far as 10.2.8

I was expecting Software Update to keep updating until I reach 10.4

Have I got something wrong?

Many thanks for any ideas

Yes you definitely have something wrong...you never installed Tiger (10.4) as you mentioned above!

If software update will only go to 10.2.8...that's because you only have OS 10.2 installed on your computer. OS 10.3 was a separate $100+ dollar software purchase, and OS 10.4 was like another $129 dollar separate purchase.

You cannot expect to get these sort of OS updates for free via "Software Update"!

Windows Vista & Windows 7 are somewhat similar (but not exactly) OS updates to OS 10.3 & 10.4...and they aren't free either!!!;)

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
Chimpur
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
Depending where your located I can sell you a copy

Reaction score
Thank you all - you are so right!

I installed what I thought was Tiger - it was in a Tiger box. With the X on and everything. But I guess I forgot to put my glasses on - the disks are labelled OS X 10.2.

Doh.

Will try again.

OP
Chimpur
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
Most all of OS X come on Disks labelled with an X. Tiger is usually a black disc with a blocky silver/gray X

Reaction score
Yes, thanks, that's what fooled me I think - the X on the disks was in what I thought was tiger fur - but it was obviously jaguar! I'm obviously not very good at animal identification.

Thanks for your help.

OP
Chimpur
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
Do you need a Tiger DVD?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.