Charging battery first time before using?

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just got my first MacBook Pro this morning and very keen to starting using it (experienced Pc used but never had a Mac before!).

Do I need to charge the battery fully before switching it on, even though I plan to keep it connected to mains supply while using it?

Any other tips for a complete mac newbie would be welcome!

Thx.

Sal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
This is what it says to do on apple.com:

The battery calibration for the PowerBook G4 (15-inch Double-Layer SD) and any model of MacBook or MacBook Pro has been updated because of a new battery released with this computer. With these computers, follow these steps to calibrate your battery:

• Plug in the power adapter and fully charge your PowerBook's battery until the light ring or LED on the power adapter plug changes to green and the onscreen meter in the menu bar indicates that the battery is fully charged.

• Allow the battery to rest in the fully charged state for at least two hours. You may use your computer during this time as long as the adapter is plugged in.

• Disconnect the power adapter with the computer still on and start running the computer off battery power. You may use your computer during this time. When your battery gets low, you will see the low battery warning dialog on the screen.

• Continue to keep your computer on until it goes to sleep. Save all your work and close all applications when the battery gets very low, before the computer goes to sleep.

• Turn off the computer or allow it to sleep for five hours or more.

• Connect the power adapter and leave it connected until the battery is fully charged again.

Tip: When the battery reaches "empty", the computer is forced into sleep mode. The battery actually keeps back a reserve beyond "empty", to maintain the computer in sleep for a period of time. Once the battery is truly exhausted, the computer is forced to shut down. At this point, with the safe sleep function introduced in the PowerBook G4 (15-inch Double-Layer SD) computers, the computer's memory contents have been saved to the hard drive. When power is restored, the computer returns itself to its pre-sleep state using the safe sleep image on the hard drive.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks.

I did notice this previously but is this the process for a charging the battery first time before using it or for just calibrating the battery, irrespective of when that is done?

I ask as the manual makes no mention of fully charging the battery first time before using it - I'm itching to use it !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
This should be done when you get a new battery. You don't have to do it for the first charge, but I would do it as early as possible.

If you are really wanting to use the computer I dont see any harm in calibrating it right off the bat, that is probably what apple wants anyways.

Welcome to the forum and your new MacBook Pro, have fun, using it the first time is always the best. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4GHz 4GB, 19in Viewsonic LCD, Mac Alum keyboard, Razer Diamondback 3G
eh I booted mine up before I even got home and it's working fine. Since apple checks these guys before they ship em out they probably already do that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP 2.4, 2GB DDR,160gb HDD,8600m GT 256
hi PPL! iv got my new macbook pro 17" , 2.4 C2D, 2gb ddr2 , 8600m GT.
its runing in idle about 45-50C 2000RPM. and 50-54C on watching youtube and chaging a battery at the same time 2000RPM!
first of all the question!
is this a nomal tempereture? and dose smcFancontrol are givin a true temperature?
and the second question! im using this macbook pro like a desk top replecment! can i run it without a battery? i heard that runing without a battery helping to cool the computer!

Reaction score
hi PPL! iv got my new macbook pro 17" , 2.4 C2D, 2gb ddr2 , 8600m GT.
its runing in idle about 45-50C 2000RPM. and 50-54C on watching youtube and chaging a battery at the same time 2000RPM!
first of all the question!
is this a nomal tempereture? and dose smcFancontrol are givin a true temperature?
and the second question! im using this macbook pro like a desk top replecment! can i run it without a battery? i heard that runing without a battery helping to cool the computer!

This is what I've heard too. To make sure, visit the Apple Discussions at:

Apple - Support - Discussions - MacBook Pro

You'll have to register first. There are many there who can answer your question. Best of luck.

NV

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Running your MBP without the battery in will decrease the CPU operating speed of the computer.

Reaction score
Calibrating battery--using MBP while battery rests?

I just bought a new battery today for my 15" MBP and want to (correctly) calibrate it for the first time, but I don't want to not be able to use my laptop during the 5 hours it needs to rest/sleep.

Do I really have to let my MBP rest or sleep for 5 hours after the battery has been fully drained? Can I take the new battery out for 5 hours to rest and use my old battery or AC power? Will it not calibrate correctly if I take out the new battery?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
Here's what I do when I first got my MBP. I plug it in, turn it on, and enjoy the experience of a new Mac. I let the power adapter, the battery and the laptop work it all out as Apple design it to do.

Reaction score
Battery does not show as much remaining time as it should

Two days ago bought a new MacBook Pro 13" 2.53GHz 4Gb 7 hour battery. First time charged for 12 hours, then unplugged and remaining time is no more than 4(sometimes less than 3) hours (Airport off, screen dimmed to 80%, no additional hardware connected, couple off apps running in the background). Maximum remaining time I manage to get was 4h20min - when all applications are shut and screened dimmed almost to zero.

It's suppose to be new computer, with all fresh new memory, but the performance is also slow as for 4Gb Memory computer with almost no applications installed.

I did not have any of those problems 3 years ago with MacBook (white) bought from US (no wheel-turning-rainbow appeared out of nowhere for at least few months, battery remaining time was at it was written in specification).

I bought in Beijing real Apple store, but got a suspicion that it's been used before (some small details in the packaging). Can it be that they sell computers from display there? Or maybe there are some other "China-unrelated" bugs? Can I bring it back?

I know it's Apple and it's credible, but I've been in China quite a while and I would not be surprised if they are running some business of their own inside the store. So what should I do?

Thank you very much!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Don't worry about your temperatures unless it's uncomfortable. Your computer can handle more heat that a human can. YouTube uses Flash which requires a lot more power than in Windows so it's not surprising that your computer is running hotter when watching YouTube.

I've been told that using your computer without the battery will make it run slower. Don't worry about the heat.

I just bought a new battery today for my 15" MBP and want to (correctly) calibrate it for the first time, but I don't want to not be able to use my laptop during the 5 hours it needs to rest/sleep.

Do I really have to let my MBP rest or sleep for 5 hours after the battery has been fully drained? Can I take the new battery out for 5 hours to rest and use my old battery or AC power? Will it not calibrate correctly if I take out the new battery?
This is what I did when I first got my computer. I plugged it in while using it and then when it was full I unplugged it and used it until it went to sleep on it's own because the battery was fully drained. I then recharged it back to a full state. That's how I calibrated my laptop batteries. In other words a full discharge and then full recharge. I personally don't wait in between.

Once it's calibrated then use your laptop like normal. I don't leave mine plugged in all the time but if you use your laptop not like a desktop replacement then you will do that normally. You don't have to fully drain the battery every time and you should not do so. You only need to calibrate the battery once a month to keep the meter gauge accurate. In between calibrations just plug and unplug when you need to.

If you don't use your laptop for a long time then you should store the battery at half charge and in a cool place. I've been told lithium batteries don't like being fully drained all the time nor do they like being plugged in charging all the time either. Somewhere in between is how you should use it.

For the record I still get about 6 hours of battery life on a full charge.

Here is what Apple says: Apple - Batteries - Notebooks

Reaction score
help

Hello everyone... i need an advice from someone who actually knows about mac batteries... I just bought a new macbook pro 15 and i need to know what i must do for the first charging.

A friend of mine who owns the same mac told me that for the first time i must boot the mac and let the factory charge dry until shutdown. Then i must recharge the battery for 16 hrs and again let it dry... then again recharge for 16 hrs and it is ready to go..

I don't know if this is correct...

My question is.. do i have to boot the mac OR charge it instead for the first time? And why?
The calibration that apple suggests is a different matter. This is about the FIRST use of the battery.

Any professional help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Jov.

:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Apple has a great site for how to maintain and use your batteries properly for all of their devices:

Apple - Batteries

In addition, you'll find a lot of great information by searching here at Mac-Forums. There are many threads out there that you'll find useful on this subject:

Mac-Forums.com - Search Forums

Read what Apple says. FWIW, your friend is incorrect.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.