Can't see scanner -- any clues?

Reaction score
Hi,

I lived in a Linux world forever but just my first laptop, a MacBook Pro. I have an HP 3390 all in one printer that includes a scanner. I used the HP setup utility to set the printer up and it includes a rudimentary scan program that can access the scanner and scan documents, etc. But other programs that expect to find the scanner can't, including the System Profiler. I have the option of either network or a USB connection and I've tried both, but the only software that seems to be able to find and use the scanner is the HP program.

Obviously something is missing. Any ideas about what I need to do here?

Thanks,
Rob

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
This may not be a problem. One normally uses the manufacturers programs or plug ins to work with their scanner. If the interface you have allows you to access the scanner, and all of its features, that should be sufficient.

If you are looking for an alternate interface, try out VueScan, and extremely well regarded third party scanner interface. I have used its Linux variant for years. It is supported on Mac, Linux and Windows. VueScan is shareware, but it is worth every penny.

OP
C
Reaction score
Already did, and VueScan can't see it either. In fact, it was VueScan's help document that suggested I check and see if the System Profiler sees it.

Reaction score
I'm surprised that System Profiler doesn't see it. Have you tried Image Capture, it lives in your Applications folder and is a very under appreciated gem.

OP
C
Reaction score
Just tried it. Image capture comes up and immediately complains that "No Image Capture device connected." The icon shows a camera so I plugged my camera in and Image Capture came up fine. If I go to the Devices menu and select Browse Devices, it sees the scanner as a TWAIN data source (not familiar with TWAIN) but it doesn't seem to be able to use it.

Reaction score
Can you try this on another Mac? I don't like the fact that System Profiler can't see it. Image Capture sees everything...!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1)20" iMac | 2.04GHz | 2GB RAM | 160GB | OSX 10.5.2 2)13" Bl. MacBook| 2.1GHz| 1GB RAM | OSX 10.5.2
Nope. Only own one Mac.

Maybe you can find another Mac to try it out on? A friend, or something? That would be the best way to see if it is a problem with your Mac, or a problem with your scanner.

OP
C
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I choose my friends poorly -- they are mostly PC people and none have a Mac laptop they can bring over.

I don't know how pertinent it is, but I'll repeat what I said before. The scanner program that comes with the HP installer disk sees the scanner and can do scans. Also, I have used the same scanner on Linux without any problem but the difference is that the driver path or URI is manually set in the preferences for any program that can use the scanner. So I don't think this is a matter of accessing the scanner per se, it's a matter of recognizing that it's there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.