Hooking up an external monitor.

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I'm considering a 15" MBP. As well as later picking up a 30" LCD monitor and a Mac OS X compatible desktop keyboard/mouse. When you hook up the monitor to the MBP is there a way to turn off the screen on the MBP? Or is it left on? I'd like to reduce the light beng emitted in the room..even if I face the MBP in another direction.

Thanks.

OP
D
Reaction score
Yes, it's possible to have the screen off and the lid closed.

Good to know. Guess I'll be getting the 2.5Ghz 15" MBP and use it as my main computer after all. Don't think I'll need a desktop. Was planning to also buy a Mac Pro. Might wiat on that and see if I truly need it.

How would I turn off the screen and be able to close the lid? Can you post the steps. I'm totally new to Apple computers.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.5 GHz 2 GB RAM 250 GB HDD NViDA GeForce 8600 GMT
When you'll close the lid, it will simply put your computer to sleep, & then you'll have to wake up your computer using external keyboard or mouse & it will start using the external monitor as primary monitor..

OP
D
Reaction score
When you'll close the lid, it will simply put your computer to sleep, & then you'll have to wake up your computer using external keyboard or mouse & it will start using the external monitor as primary monitor..

That easy. Thanks. I thought there might need to be some menu command to be activated or deactivated. :)

But while the MBP's monitor is down would the heat coming from beneath the keyboard still be able to adequately vent? Are there vents at the back of the MBP's?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.