Uninstalling Apps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" alum iMac 2.4 3 gigs ram
Okay this is not the usual uninstall question for I haven't seen anything that addresses my question. I'm new with Mac but I know how to download and remove programs using AppZapper or dragging them to the trash etc.,but my question is how do you find if a program/App has it's own uninstaller? Where would I look for it to use it? A simple step by step would be fine. In windows I know how to do it but in Mac I don't. 20" alum iMac.
Thanks for a reply

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 14gb ram 24" LED Cd & 23" Cd
Goto the apps folder that you want to remove and if there is an un-installer in there use it. If not simply drag the file from the APPLICATIONS folder and empty the trash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
For an actual answer to your question...

Most applications that have their own uninstaller give you that option when you open the DMG. Some very few put one in the applications folder but this is not the norm. An example of one of these applications is MS Office 2008.

Essentially if you want to see if an application has its own uninstaller follow the steps to install it and see if you are given the option to uninstall at any point. Otherwise just drap from applications to the trash.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" alum iMac 2.4 3 gigs ram
Okay thanks for the replies. So like you said if a program has it's own uninstaller it would show when opening the DMG. I will have to pay more attention to that the next time so I can notice the uninstaller. However I have usually dumped the DMG right after I install an app so of course there would be no way to retrieve the uninstaller anymore. Am I right? Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yes that is how uninstallers arrive with the .dmg file.

Considered burning your downloaded .dmg files to a DVD-RW and then you have the application, and uninstaller, permanently?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.