New Superdrive is making noises

Reaction score
So, I just bought my new MBP from my local best buy. Been years since I've worked with mac OS, so I spent a good while re-learning how to us it.

But when I made an attempt to load up a CD into the super drive I noticed that I had to push nearly 90% of the disk into the drive before the drive took the disk the rest of the way. It also made a rather loud spinning noise when it took it. It read the disk fine, no issues there. Then during the eject phase it made the same loud spinning sound to kick it back out.

IS this normal? Or are these drives supposed to be quiet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blackbook - 2.4 GHZ Core 2 Duo - 2 GB RAM - 250 GB HDD
My macbook does it too and I just did a quick search and it seems the sounds are normal. It is just the sound of the motor pulling the disc in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
It is normal.

OP
K
Reaction score
Shortly after making this post, I also called the apple support line. And the rep on the phone didn't believe it was normal, and found me a local Apple certified tech for me to contact and perhaps have replace my drive while it's still under warranty.

I'll be calling the store today for their input.

OP
K
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with my local MAC tech, seems everything is ok. As stated in both replies I got above, seems this is the norm.

PHEW :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz i7 (2013) | 15"MacBook Pro 2.6GHz (2018) both OS 10.14.1 | iPhone 6 OS 12.1
if it isn't too much of a hassle to go there...i suggest letting your local applecare guys take a look at it...i have a 6 month old MBP...& i recently got it my drive replaced...the fact is that none of us know exactly what sound yor drive is making...while it is normal for drives to make some noise...there may just be something else wrong with yours...doesn't hurt to let them take a look...or listen in this case...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
I remember the first time I put a CD in my MBP...

I thought for sure it had split the disk in numerous pieces... haha. ;)

Sounds normal... It's a loud, disturbing "crunching" sound, and you do have to put the CD in about 90% of the way before it will take it...

Reaction score
So, I just bought my new MBP from my local best buy. Been years since I've worked with mac OS, so I spent a good while re-learning how to us it.

But when I made an attempt to load up a CD into the super drive I noticed that I had to push nearly 90% of the disk into the drive before the drive took the disk the rest of the way. It also made a rather loud spinning noise when it took it. It read the disk fine, no issues there. Then during the eject phase it made the same loud spinning sound to kick it back out.

IS this normal? Or are these drives supposed to be quiet?

Hey karnalsyn i had the same problem. CHeck out this link and scroll down and listen to samples 1 and 2 of inserting cds. Surprisingly its normal. Hope it helped. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1723?viewlocale=en_US

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook White 2.4, 2G ram, 160HD
mine does it too

glad to know its not a problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.