Internet Connection Sharing.. Simple Question..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
So I've got my G4 PowerBook accessing the Net via Airport.. I do not have access to the router at all, as access is included with my rent.

I also have my gaming desktop PC.. No wireless card. I know how to do ICS, but my question is, do I need a standard ethernet cable or a cross-over cable?

I know I've done ICS somewhere before using a typical ethernet cable. Googling didn't provide anything other than what settings to use, which I already knew.

Thanks!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have always used a normal Straight Through cable and not a Crossover. How you going to hook it all up?

Which system will the internet plug into?

OP
Audio.Trench
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I got it to work with a standard Cat-5 cable..

Setup is Linksys Router > powerBook (Airport) > PC via ethernet.

I just wasn't sure if I needed a crossover or not.. I know for a fact that I've done ICS with a regular ethernet cable before but wanted to make sure.

Now if Vista didn't suck with all of my games, I'd be happy.. I'm thinking of just wiping and installing XP. Blasted Compaq's.

Thanks for the response.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.