System Sounds

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I have searched the site - honestly O:) - for info about this, but not with much success. I'd like to add some sounds to the System to use for Alert, On-the-Hour etc sounds. I found a heap of WAV files, excellent, and have converted them to AIFF, which, according to the few posts I've found, are required for the OS X sound system.

So, into which folder should I put the aiff files to be used by the OS X system, to be controlled via System Prefs?

OP
hughvane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
So, into which folder should I put the aiff files to be used by the OS X system, to be controlled via System Prefs?

I've answered my own question by experimenting, so for anyone else wishing to do likewise ie. add sounds to their OS X System, the procedure is as follows:
1. Go -> Computer -> System -> Library -> Sounds
Any added files must be in .aiff format. When adding sound files to the Sounds folder, the process will be blocked by the warning "xxxxx file cannot be moved because ........"
2. Click Authenticate
3. Type in your Password at the next prompt
4. The new sound file will be added to the Sounds folder.

New sounds can then be used via System Prefs -> Sound -> Sound Effects

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.