Install Tiger on external hard drive...

Reaction score
I just installed a My Book 500 GB external USB hard drive on my G4 Quicksilver. I want to install my Tiger OS one of the partitions and use it as my startup disk since this puny 40gig internal drive is too small.

How do I go about installing the OS on the hard drive. When I boot up off the install disk and proceed through the installation, it won't let me choose one of the partitioned drives of the new external drive. A big red "!" is on the icon and it of course says I can't install on that drive. Is it because it is a USB and not a Fire wire drive?

How do I go about achieving my goal?

Thanks in advance!

Going goofy in Georgia....:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
I'm afraid you cannot boot from a USB device on a PPC powered Mac, Only Intel powered Macs can, PPC ones like yours can boot from firewire drives though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yep as above you need Firewire. Format to Apple Partition Map and copy your Tiger OS from the HDD to the external using SuperDuper.

OP
A
Reaction score
THanks... I figured as much... Bought the unit at Microcenter here in Atlanta and the "crack" Apple staff said it was the correct one. I'll take it back tomorrow and give it back to "Einstein" in the Apple Dept..

THanks for your help guys...

JS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
Just exchange it for a firewire based drive...all will be good

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.