External Hard Drive for g3 Clamshell iBook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
300mhz 192mb 6gb
i was wondering if anyone could help me out with my new clamshell purchase. it's a tangerine clamshell 300 mhz, 192mb and 6 gigs. It has ms office 2004 and airport connected and other prograns etc. I will only be using this for word processing. It's also my intro into the MAC computer world.

My question is -- the 6 gigs is fine for simple wordprocessing but do you think it would be better to add more gigs or just purchase an external hdd to store documents? Also if you could give me average costs for both, the gigs and external hdd that would be awesome. Thanks.

Sunflower

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
i was wondering if anyone could help me out with my new clamshell purchase. it's a tangerine clamshell 300 mhz, 192mb and 6 gigs. It has ms office 2004 and airport connected and other prograns etc. I will only be using this for word processing. It's also my intro into the MAC computer world.

My question is -- the 6 gigs is fine for simple wordprocessing but do you think it would be better to add more gigs or just purchase an external hdd to store documents? Also if you could give me average costs for both, the gigs and external hdd that would be awesome. Thanks.

Sunflower
I would go with an external myself. It can be used as a backup as well. And when the iBook finally dies, you'll still have the external for another Mac.

Check this link for the official " Which External Hard Drive should I buy/Do you suggest?"http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80876

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
300mhz 192mb 6gb
i just got a seagate external drive 120gb does anyone with a clamshell know how to connect an external hard drive with two usb connectors. the clam only comes with one usb and i don't have firewire. help!
thanks.

sunflower

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just connect it to your Mac. You don't need to use both ports.
Drives with 2 USB ports are usually used for connecting and sharing printers and/or additional hard drive.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
300mhz 192mb 6gb
i tried using one usb but the hd just beeped and the lcd screen kept flashing. my bf tried formatting it to fat 32 but it always appears on the pc but nothing on the mac. we've tried a hub and the thing still isn't recognized at all even when i go through disk utility.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Could you post the exact model?
First guess would be that it doesn't use external power, and its USB 2.0
Your Mac may not be giving it enough power. (it uses USB 1.1)

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
300mhz 192mb 6gb
it's a Seagate FreeAgent Go 120mb model. my clam is 300 mhz, 192 mb with 6gigs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
From what I've read in the manual, the beeping means it needs more power. It also mentioned if the LED was flashing, it's an electrical failure.

It is compatible for Mac OS 10.3.9 and above. And for 1.1 USB.

Does it still work on the other PC? (does anything beep or flash?)
Is the USB hub powered?
Also, have you tried the other USB port on the external?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
300mhz 192mb 6gb
it works fine with the pc. i kind of gave up on connecting it to the mac. i've been using a hub to connect a cardreader which i save docs on and transfer them over to the pc and external for saving. whew! but, thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem. It's probably just not getting enough power from the Mac.

Good luck! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.