Powerbook or iBook...again.

M

McGuillicuddy

Here's the deal. In the UK I get an academic discount, so the prices are:

12" iBook 1.2 GHz
60 GB HD
Bluetooth
Applecare

Total: £853.18 (incl. £157 for Applecare)

12" Powerbook 1.33 GHz
60 GB
Bluetooth
Applecare

Total: £1162.08 (incl. £220 for Applecare)

What I want from a new machine is something that will last me 3-4 years for regular internet/word processing/DVD viewing/travelling/occasional game (e.g. WC3, Call-of-Duty...none of the new games obviously). For these purposes, is the extra processing/GPU power of the Powerbook worth the extra £300 (which is about USD$555, or CAD$675)?? Will the Powerbook remain functionally useful for much that longer than the iBook?

Thanks!

OP
M

McGuillicuddy

Yeah, I'm leaning in that direction. The difference between the Radeon 9200 and the FX5200Go is just not worth all that extra cash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
If you are just looking mainly at the 12" in line for the iBook or PowerBook then I say go iBook. Otherwise, with the 15" or 17" models of the PowerBook where you have an option for the 1.5GHz chip and the 128MB ATI videocard then I lean towards the PowerBook.

Of course, if money is going to be the main determining factor then the iBook would fit more budgets than the PowerBook.

OP
M

McGuillicuddy

rberry88 said:
If you are just looking mainly at the 12" in line for the iBook or PowerBook then I say go iBook. Otherwise, with the 15" or 17" models of the PowerBook where you have an option for the 1.5GHz chip and the 128MB ATI videocard then I lean towards the PowerBook.

That's exactly the conclusion I've come to. Unfortunately, I just can't put out the extra cash for the 15" PB Superdrive so I could get the 128 MB MR9700. Too bad, really, since that would be a machine that would do absolutely *everything* that I would want in a notebook (multimedia, portability, DVDs, gaming etc.).

OP
M

mac_noobie

The new powerbooks should be coming out soon... I heard within a month or so... It's also rumored they may be using duel processors. That would be cool :cool:

Otherwise, I have a 12 in. 1.33 Ghz powerbook which I just put another 512 meg. of ram into, and I can run Americas Army on normal graphics settings.

I don't really think the ibook would handle call of duty ( in my opinion ). not very well at least.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Buying One Soon...
If it's using dual processors they better put a heavy duty battery in it or the life span with be like an hour for one charge.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.