Running Bootcamp - can you share files on the drives

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am actually yet to receive my macbook and part with my windows PC , just wanted to make sure I had all my bases covered. Apologies if this comes across as a silly question but I wasnt sure..

If I am running bootcamp and have windows XP also installed on my mac. Can I still freely use files between the 2 OS's. So for example if I download a load of photos and videos from my camera to my hard drive, whilst working in XP. Can I then freely use those files from the drive when I am working in leopard?

thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Not without using VMware Fusion or Parallels Desktop (I'm a bigger fan of Fusion). Or using a FAT32 formated flash drive, which is not ideal.

Windows can't read or write Mac HFS+ formated partitions. The same is true for Mac writing (it can read) to Windows NTFS formatted partitions. If you install XP using a FAT32 format than you will at least be able to read/write files to and from that partition. But Windows will still be unable to see Mac.

I've installed XP via Bootcamp, Fusion allows me to run the Bootcamp partition as a virtual machine. I really don't like restarting into Windows since drivers provided by Apple are not the greatest, especially the trackpad. Even though Fusion is not free it will provide Freedom. There is also CodeWeavers software for just running Windows applications without running Windows. I use this for running Microsoft Visio 2003.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.