Address Book Freeze OSX 10.3.5

S

sims158

I've just tried to update or add something to my address book and it keeps freezing. Well it doesn't freeze, you just get the whirly coloured ball on screen and nothing happens. I have to force quit it. I've tried it a few times and it does the same each time. Does anybody have any idea why and how to fix it?

Thanx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
as far as why, Im not too sure, but Id say you should repair permissions, and delete the preferences for address book.

OP
J

Janet

Address book 3.0.3 OSX freezing

Macman said:
as far as why, Im not too sure, but Id say you should repair permissions, and delete the preferences for address book.
---------------
Would you elaborate on how to take these two steps? I have the exact problem that the first person cited.

Thanks, Janet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Repair Permisions: Macintosh HD>Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility click on repair permissions.

Deleteing Prefferences: Macintosh HD>Library>Preferences Delete the .plist file that is associated with adress book.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
Janet said:
---------------
Would you elaborate on how to take these two steps? I have the exact problem that the first person cited.

Thanks, Janet
ok. repairing permissions is a maintenance sort of thing, os x is permissions based, meaning apps and such need to be allowed to do or use things, over time and installation of apps, permissions can become corrupt or get changed by an app that needs a file or system resource. this is something that should be done after each software installation and os update. to repair permissions, which I recommend you do after deleting the preferences, which we'll get to, open disk utility, it is inside of the utilities folder inside the applications folder, when disk utility opens, it will gather necessary information on hard drives that are present, select your startup hard drive from the list on the left, then, near the bottom of the window to the right of the list, click the button that says "Repair Disk Permissions", let it run its course, it may take a few minutes if you've never done it before, then restart your mac.
now, to delete the preferences for address book, go here:
mac hd> users> your username> library> preferences> delete the file called: com.apple.AddressBook.plist. after deleting this, empty the trash, repair permissions, restart, and you should be there. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.