Surge Protection

Reaction score
Got tired of trying to use the search function. 4 tries at typing in the code is enough.:Not-Amused:
================

I'm planning an getting an iMAC and have seen no reference to surge protection. Nothing on the Apple site that I could find. Not needed?

I have a Belkin and a Newpoint on which my CRT monitors sit. Big. About a foot square. Lots of switches; printer, monitor, master etc. Are they OK for the iMAC?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I'm planning an getting an iMAC and have seen no reference to surge protection. Nothing on the Apple site that I could find. Not needed?

Strictly speaking, surge protection is not an Apple issue, rather a power supply one. If you're in an area that experiences lots of power fluctuation, electrical storms or interference, then surge protection is probably essential. Not knowing Newpoint, but assuming it's power backup, if there is significant power drop or fade, an UPS as well would be good idea.

I have a Belkin and a Newpoint on which my CRT monitors sit. Lots of switches; printer, monitor, master etc. Are they OK for the iMAC?

Should be, depending on the total loading. Check the specs for what you've got there already, and then compare with the total current drain. (In my country - NZ - it's 10 amps max riding 230v AC, so I can only load electrical items up to 2.3 kW.) Monitors are the biggest drain.

Reaction score
Depends on how stable your electric system is, I wouldn't live with out a good solid UPS. Electricity tends to have brown-outs, surges, static and signal noise. A good UPS filters out all of the above and for much less than a hundred bucks you can keep those tiny little connections on your mobo safe.
If your Belkin has two banks, filtered only and backup, then plug your iMac into the backup side. That will give you time to shut down if your software won't do it automatically. You don't need to eat up battery time for your router, printer, scanner, etc.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Surge protection is the users responsibility. Macs are no different than any other computer or delicate electronic device. I would not run any of my computers without at least some form of Surge Protection leave alone a good UPS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4 - 4GB RAM, Logitech S530 Kbrd/Mouse, Logitech Z2300 Speakers
Surge and brown outs can be a problem. I purchased a Tripp-Lite battery back up with surge protection that I have everything plugged into. Deals with the brown outs, common in the summer when A/C kicks on and off as well as spikes. Good things to have for any expensive electrical items; computer, TV, etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.