External HD no longer appears in Finder...

OP
FreshPants
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4, 1.07Ghz, 768 MB / iPod Video / Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz
Did you try a search here on the forums? I seem to remember others with the same issue. I will look later also. The strange thing is it works on other systems.

i did do some searching and I did find similar problems but no solutions. My (possible incorrect) way of thinking was the more threads about it the better, as then people start to take notice of the problem!

And yes, it is very strange. I'm assuming now it must be a problem with the OSX rather than the drive!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If nothing else works I do have one suggestion which will prove if it's OSX or not.

Take your 10.5 DVD and boot, choose under Options, Archive and Install and reinstall. With Archive and Install you will loose nothing. If it fixes it, then just delete the folder named Previous System and it will be back to normal. Then you can try to install 10.5.3.

One quick question, did the External show up before you updated to 10.5.3??

OP
FreshPants
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If nothing else works I do have one suggestion which will prove if it's OSX or not.

Take your 10.5 DVD and boot, choose under Options, Archive and Install and reinstall. With Archive and Install you will loose nothing. If it fixes it, then just delete the folder named Previous System and it will be back to normal. Then you can try to install 10.5.3.

One quick question, did the External show up before you updated to 10.5.3??

Archive & Install was going to be my final solution on this but thanks for suggesting it anyway.

And I actually bought the MBP on the day 10.5.3. came out but it definitely worked until last Thursday (12th). This is what puzzles me the most, the fact that it worked fine one minute then not, the next!

one other thing to point out is I haven't been able to test it on another Mac as yet. But will do at the weekend and report back.

OP
FreshPants
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
solution has been found. The problem was created by a 3rd party software called "Paragon NTFS" All working now :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
solution has been found. The problem was created by a 3rd party software called "Paragon NTFS" All working now :)

Did you have to uninstall Paragon? If there is an issue with it, please report it to Paragon so they can fix it. There is a thread here on the forums started by Paragon.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.