Pop (or creak)...normal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.66/4GB/320GB; iMac 2.66Ghz/4GB/320GB; Apple TV; Black iPhone 3G 16GB
My black MB has started to make slight popping/creaking noises when I open the screen, esp. if it's cold and I haven't used it for a while. My guess is it is the plastic flexing/wearing but I thought I'd ask you all who have them if it's anything to worry about. The hinge seems to open/close just fine, but I remember when I got it it was quiet.

Can anyone who has a black MB tell me if this is normal?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZcfaqNuvn8

PS: This is a [new] 2.4 that I've had for about 6-7 weeks. Never dropped or misused.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hard to tell from the video and sound clip, but it almost sounds like static discharges. Do you live in a very dry climate area of California?

Regards.

OP
JuanGuapo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thx chscag. No, it's pretty temperate here in SoCal; warm but not dry or humid. The sound seems to be coming from the plastic around the hinge. Nothing appears to be rubbing, per say.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
JuanGuapo,

That doesn't sound at all normal to me - it's as if the plastic has a buckle in it or some bit of plastic has torn away and is interfering with the top opening, thus the clicking sound there. If I had that problem I'd have mine to an Apple Store right away.

Are you still under warranty? Or under Apple care? If so, they should repair that or replace the hinge at the least. If you're not covered, I'd still check it out with Apple, maybe they'll fix it for you anyhow, or for cheap ;P

Good luck, Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2011 15" 2.0Ghz (hi-res, Momentus XT). 32GB iPhone 4.
6-7 weeks.. i'd say it'd be under warranty :p

OP
JuanGuapo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I went to the Apple store yesterday while my fiance was shopping at the mall and I was able to take a look at the blackbooks on display. It appears they all sort of do it in one way or another, so I imagine there's either not much they can do about it or it's semi-normal. The sales guy I talked to said that the black ones are a little noisier than the white books ("...made of a different material, so it creaks a little depending on how you open it or pick it up.")

Anyone else w/ a black macbook experiencing this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
JuanGuapo,

Well at least you know it's "normal." :eek:

Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
My white MacBook creaks - I'm not sure if it always has, but it has for a very long time.

OP
JuanGuapo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thx guys... One thing I love about this community is that we are there to help each other out, even answer "is this normal?"-type of questions.. :)

Yeah it appears thus far to be normal, at least from what I've seen w/ the black MBs on display.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
I was opening and closing my MB, and mine did a sort of popping sound when I opened it. I noticed that the bottom of the screen butts up against the base part as I open it. not so much to keep it from opening, though. I should post a YT vid, if that was unclear.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4GHz 250GB/G4 iPod 20GB/iPod Touch 32GB/iPod Shuffle 1GB
I have a black MacBook and mine does the same thing occasionally. I have found that if I am opening it at a funny angle (i.e. on my lap or couch) then i will get a noise but I'm pretty sure you have nothing to worry about. Part of it may also be the natural expansion of the plastic due to thermal changes. Again, not a big deal, just a little noise is all.

OP
JuanGuapo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thx guys! You know, come to think of it seems to only make sound when I have it on a hard surface like a desk or counter.

If I have it on my lap, it makes no sound. It will most definitely make the popping sound if I open the lid holding anywhere but in the center (above the isight). The sound seems to come from the seam between the display lid, and the hinge cover on the bottom that runs across the back of the display.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4GHz 250GB/G4 iPod 20GB/iPod Touch 32GB/iPod Shuffle 1GB
If I have it on my lap, it makes no sound. It will most definitely make the popping sound if I open the lid holding anywhere but in the center (above the isight).

That is just because the screen flexes a bit if you put pressure on it off center. Playing with mine just now, that is the only explanation. You will be fine it is nothing to worry about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
do the MBP's make noise as well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Core 2 Duo Black MacBook
my sisters black MB does it all the time, but she has a spec case on it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.