Want to make switch, need confidence boost!

Reaction score
Hey guys -- several month "viewer," first time poster.

Lifelong PC user, and my PC died last week (unable to boot the OS, "Disk Read" errror), and I am not even close to being tech savvy enough to fix it. However, while researching the new iPhone over the past several months, I became interested in the iMacs, and now feel like this is the perfect time to "Make the Switch."

My questions: I have read a lot about not Macs not being able to run certain programs, but my thinking is that a user like myself who will be doing basic functions such as word processing, internet, powerpoint presentations, family movie editing (have never done this, but the videos are starting to pile up) and maybe small scale website development (VERY basic), the iMac sounds perfect for my needs. Would you guys agree?

My other concern is my internet service provider. I currently use Earthlink and would like to continue to do so; any problems there?

Next, we currently use a Linksys for our home wireless, and my wife has her HP computer configured to it; any significant problems with the Linksys or her PC while using the iMac as the main computer?

Finally, I have a relatively new Canon printer, but cannot find the startup disc that came with it; how will I be able to set it up on the iMac (if at all)?

I hope I can get my PC (Dell) to boot at least once so that I can retrieve my files (haven't backed up recently:( ), and I assume I can just load them onto a Flash drive and transfer the files that way.

I know these are very basic and possibly stupid questions, but the nerves always escalate as the decision becomes more imminent and necessary!

Any other suggestions would be EXTREMELY appreciated!!

Thanks guys; you all seem to offer tremendous advice on these forums, which is invaluable to noobs such as myself!

OP
S
Reaction score
Correction...

It looks like I have actually posted here before...ooops! I thought I only had an account with an iPhone forum, and when I tried to sign in with my typical username, it said I didn't have an account, so I created another one I guess. Just didn't want you guys to think I was crazy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac | 30GB iPod Video | 16GB iPod Touch
For what you are planning to do, the iMac will work just fine. I don't think you will encounter any problems with your Linksys, but I am not great with networking so don't take my word for it. And, because backing files up from a PC is a chore, you will LOVE Time Machine. I started using it two days ago, and I am absolutely loving it so far! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
Technically speaking, a Mac cannot run any Windows programs. For any program that you want, you'll have to have a Mac version of the program, e.g. your current PC copy of MS Office will not work on your Mac, and you'll have to purchase MS Office for the Mac. Most Windows programs have Mac equivalents, oftentimes made by the same developers/companies as the Windows version. There are also many free and shareware programs available for the Mac on the Internet. Based on what you want to do, I'd say that yes, the iMac would be a great fit.

Your ISP isn't going to be a problem at all. Connect your iMac to your router like a normal PC. Make sure you have all the appropriate security passwords, etc, that you may have set up on your router.

I use a Linksys wireless router myself. Your Mac will work with it normally, and will also be able to access your wife's PC normally.

Your printer's startup disk likely doesn't have any Mac software on it, so it's not necessary. Simply plug your printer into your iMac, and OS X should handle the rest. Driver issues are more of a problem in Windows than OS X, generally.

Yep, flash drives work as normal.

Compatibility concerns are often paramount for people wanting to make the switch. Just know that the vast majority of compatibility issues between PCs and Macs have been ironed out for several years now. Your Mac should play happily with all your existing peripherals.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac | 30GB iPod Video | 16GB iPod Touch
I also have a new Canon printer, and it is just as easy to manually set up the printer than to use the install CD, which adds 5-6 useless programs that you will never use... :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
My questions: I have read a lot about not Macs not being able to run certain programs, but my thinking is that a user like myself who will be doing basic functions such as word processing, internet, powerpoint presentations, family movie editing (have never done this, but the videos are starting to pile up) and maybe small scale website development (VERY basic), the iMac sounds perfect for my needs. Would you guys agree?

I don't understand what you mean about not being able to run certain programs. MS Office for OS X can deal with all the usual Word, Powerpoint etc. documents.

Your Mac comes with a few programs such as iMovie and iDVD which sound ideal for what you want to do with video editing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
For your described needs a Mac should be fine. Earthlink and the Linksys should be no issue either.

Video editing is easy with iMovie. What camera (make and model) do you have? Some people run into compatibility issues with cameras.

There is an attempt to natively run Windows programs on a Mac. But notice the short list of supported apps at this time. Most people dual boot or use a VM product such as Parallels or VMWare. If all you need is light Office requirements, Office for the Mac is available in a few versions and third party apps including open source equivalents are available.

I think Apple just released some updates for Canon printers. So, they are a supported brand.

As for your current drive. That sounds very bad. That type of error might only be recoverable by a company such as Drive Savers which isn't cheap. You may want to give SpinRite a try, at $89.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHz MBP, 4GB, 320GB
There's nothing that will ultimately prevent you from making the switch unless you have some obscure or custom written application that is truly "windows only."

For word processing, spreadsheets, etc. (ie. the MS Office group of apps), use OpenOffice (or rather NeoOffice, which is OpenOffice built as a native OSX app). It's wonderfully compatible with every document format used in today's business world, and best of all it's free.

Internet stuff - web browsing, email, etc. is overall a much safer and enjoyable experience on a Mac. Enjoy a significantly lower risk of having your machine loaded up with adware, spyware, virii, etc. Enjoy not having to keep your machine up to date on virus definitions, spyware programs, adware programs, this-and-that blockers, etc. You can finally enjoy using your computer :)

Any networking stuff that works on Windows, will work just fine on a Mac. Likely easier and less headaches as well. Configuring wireless networks is blissfully simple and easy on a Mac.

No problems with your printers - I was able to quickly and easily setup my Mac with my Canon inkjet and my Dell color laser.

As for interaction with your wife's PC, if you have file sharing enabled on her computer you'll notice you can very easily (MUCH easier than with windows) browse her computer and view her files. OSX makes a lot of other things really easy too, like finding and enabling remote desktop connections for remote PC's, etc. It all pops right up in your "Finder" window without you having to do anything.

If you can't get your old PC to boot up, one easy thing you can do is get an external hard drive case, and put your old computer's drive in there. Plug it into the Mac, and it'll pop right up on your desktop -- just browse through and grab whatever files off it you want.

OP
S
Reaction score
Wow...thanks for all of the immediate responses; you have convinced me to make the splurge worry free!

My comment about the programs not running on Macs was more in reference to others that have much more advanced applications they need for work, that I would not have to worry about.

As for the "Disk Read" error; how would I put my current hard drive on an external hard drive in order to be able to connect it to my soon to be iMac? I was planning on calling the Geek Squad to help fix it!:[

OP
S
Reaction score
What are your thoughts about the Mac Mini? Would my Dell monitor be compatible with it? For those of you that use one, how does it's performance compare with the iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHz MBP, 4GB, 320GB
Ugh ... I wouldn't wish the Geek Squad on my worst enemies ;)

If you can work a phillips screwdriver, you can transplant your old hard drive into an external case. Granted, the "disk read error" may be something simple or it may prevent you from getting the data off it. But for about $30 (for the cheap external disk drive case) it's worth a shot. It's very easy though, you literally just unplug and remove the drive from your old computer, and then install it into the external case.

There's always the option of grabbing someone nearby that's more comfortable taking computers apart, everyone usually knows at least a couple folks who love to tinker.

A Mini is an awesome way to get in cheap -- they'll work with your old monitor, but you might need a new keyboard and mouse (if yours aren't USB). Performance will be pretty similar to the iMac unless you're doing some heavy lifting with the machine. For basic web browsing, word processing, etc. you'll be flying.

OP
S
Reaction score
Can the Mac Mini be used as the main computer on my network? How will it perform with video editing (just personal videos, nothing heavy)?

If it does all of that fine, I just may go that route (I never even considered the mini!).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
I just picked up a used Mini 1.66Ghz Core Duo....slapped in 2Gb of RAM into it and a large HD, runs like a dream, yeah it's a cheap way into the Mac world with a standalone system but it'll definitely give ya lots of use, And it'll push even big monitors nicely which is cool !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
I don't understand what you mean about not being able to run certain programs. MS Office for OS X can deal with all the usual Word, Powerpoint etc. documents.

Your Mac comes with a few programs such as iMovie and iDVD which sound ideal for what you want to do with video editing.

He means his windows versions wont install without purchasing the mac versions first. For software he already owns.

This is of course not technically correct given the ability to use vmWare, Parallels, and Boot Camp. As well as a few Mac apps that let you install PC software without any of the above.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Why do you ask if the Mac can be your main computer. If you mean act as a server, sure, but keep in mind any time you do that you are stealing processing power from the interactive user. Doesn't matter which OS.

If you stick to iMovie the video editing should be fine. For heavier lifting you would buy into Final Cut Express which does take advantage of dedicated graphics engines (cards) according to the specs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
Can the Mac Mini be used as the main computer on my network? How will it perform with video editing (just personal videos, nothing heavy)?

If it does all of that fine, I just may go that route (I never even considered the mini!).

There is no such thing as a "main computer" on your network, unless maybe you're running a server for yourself, which it doesn't seem like you're doing. All computers on your network are coequal, and all of them can be used to control the router, even your wife's laptop.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.