No 3G service...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook intel core duo 2.0GHz, 2 GB Ram
Any ideas as to whether or not At&t will charge you the additional $10 a month, if the state you currently live in (Nebraska) doesn't have a 3G network? We're rumored to have one set up by December, but you can't really expect people to pay additional money per month, for a service that isn't even available yet?

Thanks everyone!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I guess that depends on their reason for the cost increase. If they claim the cost increase is for 3G service, then you have a valid point. If they simply claim they are increasing the cost for all new iPhone service, then you're probably out of luck. Once the new iPhone hits, I'd try testing them. Call and tell them you want to to start new service with a first gen iPhone. If they say the data part of the plan will be $20, then you have them.

To be honest, I don't know why you would buy the 3G iPhone if you don't have 3G service available. The real greatness of the iPhone lies in the software, which you'll get on current iPhones for free. I'm not even sure if GPS will work without 3G. It doesn't seem right in my head, but that's what Jobs implied in the keynote. (If that is the case, I'll be upset, because shouldn't GPS devices work anywhere in the world??)

If you don't have an iPhone and want to get one for a non-3G area, my advice would be to wait for the 3G phone to hit, then pick up a slightly used one on ebay. You'll be able to get a 16GB version that practically new for much much less than the new model. And in terms of functionality, it'll be able to do everything a new one could do in your area. Anyway, that's what I would do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, MB Air, Iphone
Totally Agree

To be honest, I don't know why you would buy the 3G iPhone if you don't have 3G service available. The real greatness of the iPhone lies in the software, which you'll get on current iPhones for free. I'm not even sure if GPS will work without 3G. It doesn't seem right in my head, but that's what Jobs implied in the keynote. (If that is the case, I'll be upset, because shouldn't GPS devices work anywhere in the world??)

Looked at the AT&T 3G coverage map...and it's totally disgusting. Very LITTLE 3G except in SOME metro areas. To upgrade to 3G where there isn't any 3g? (which is almost everywhere) Kind of throwing money away

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I checked the map and there seemed to be a lot of coverage except in areas like the rockies or where the population is less dense.
Being said, why would you buy something where its second main feature (after being a phone) isn't of any use of you.
Buy it in December or whenever the service is available in your area. It's really as simple as that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.