no sound with external mic

Reaction score
I have a macbook with OSX.4 and Quicktime 7.4.5(25). I am running an unamplified mic in through a Griffin imic. If I go through the stereo it works fine but with the mic plugged directly in I get no sound. Is this a problem with adapting plugs I have used on the mic to the imic (I go from three prong mic plug, to 1/4 plug to the small plug) or do I need an amplified sound for input (through the stereo)?

Ray

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I have a macbook with OSX.4 and Quicktime ... but with the mic plugged directly in I get no sound.

Do you have Audacity? I've just run a test via my built-in mic and it records my every nuance. I don't think it's a connector problem (judging from what you've posted).

Secondly refer to my (somewhat related) post regarding recording to Mac from vinyl records.
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111808&highlight=eMac
Therein it shows that an amplifier is desirable for mic recordings.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.