Yep More Noob Questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
still on the sidelines
Well I am looking to make the switch.....I will be screwed by Windows No More!!!

That being said ...I am looing at replacing everything ......

My question is .....will my periferrals work with mac? (they are all usb of course
If I buy just a tower will my Sony sdm monitor work with it?....

Being I will of course test the waters with just one purchase is it reasonable to purchase "used " or refurbished ?....What OS should I be looking for?.....I have used my sister new laptop and love it!!

What are good sites to buy these units?......

Of course this will be used for surfing and photo work (hence why I ask about my epson 1280) .......

Any help is greatly appreciated.....

Brian

Reaction score
The Epson will work just fine. The monitor will depend on the video out of whatever Mac you get (DVI, analog, etc). As for your other peripherals, go to their web sites and see if they are Mac compatible, most likely they will be, printers seem to have the worst cross over problems. As to new/used/refurb that is a question only God and your wallet can answer! Your choice of operating system is also going to be somewhat determined by the actual Mac you get.
Got any leads on a Mac yet?

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
still on the sidelines
Thanks for the fast response.......I have been looking on CL.....as well as power max.......and am torn between a notebook and a G series tower.....My house is wireless....and to be honest it sounds like a tower is more wallet savy rt now. My laptop died when updating and took all of my pictures with it hence the lean towrds laptops......Im budgeting myslef up to 800=900 dollars... I already posess an epson 1280 ...a logitech wireless mouse and keyboard and killer logitech speakers....hence the interest in compatability. The monitor uses typical monitor cable ...but i believe is dvi capable......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
If I had to choose between those two, I'd go with the Powerbook. Once you get a Mac, you'll probably find that you'll want to take it with you. :)

A note, though. Both of those machines use the old PowerPC processors, and we're hearing rumblings right now that say that Apple might not release any more new versions of OS X that work with these systems. Nothing's certain on this front, but it's apparently a possibility. I'd recommend getting a modern Mac with an Intel processor if at all possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac | 30GB iPod Video | 16GB iPod Touch
I have an iMac G5 (see my signature for more info) and have had no problems with Leopard so far. The key is RAM; I upgraded from 256MB to 2GB and it makes an absolutely HUGE difference... it is like using a different machine! I think either of those systems would be fine, but once you are hooked (which I would almost guarantee) look at the new 24" iMac. :)

Reaction score
Just get a new one. You won't regret it. WHy spend money on a computer that could be outdated in two years?

I just switched in February. I love the Mac. If you do not get one that has an Intel Processor, you can not run Windows in VMWare.

VMWare is huge for me as a switcher. I use it to install little apps here and there that do not work on OS X.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.