iMac hum

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 1.83Ghz Core 2 Duo, 1GB ram, 160GB HD. iMac 20" 2Ghz Core 2 Duo Aluminum, 2GB ram, 250GB HD
Hi,

I am a bit concerned about my 8 month old 20" iMac. There seems to be a faint hum sound coming from it. The hum sound is barely noticable but gets slightly louder when I touch the screen of my iMac to turn it around to get to the USB ports. When I move my hands away from the screen the hum sound goes back to normal.

Is this normal?

Artmuzz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
not exactly the same problem you are having but could be a similar issue and worth checking. look at my post here and see if this might be related to your problem.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 1.83Ghz Core 2 Duo, 1GB ram, 160GB HD. iMac 20" 2Ghz Core 2 Duo Aluminum, 2GB ram, 250GB HD
Thanks for the reply.

This is not related to audio or the speakers.

Its when I touch and put a bit of pressure on the corner of my iMac (just at the corner below the screen) that I hear a faint hum sound.

I've tried unplugging things but I still get that sound when I touch and put pressure on the corner of my iMac by adjusting the screen or turning it around to get to the usb ports on the back.

Artmuzz

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.