MIDI keyboard and Garageband - please help!

Reaction score
Hi All,

I just bought a Roland SH-201 keyboard and want to start using it with Garageband. I'm a total beginner with digital music and can't seem to get the setup working :(

So far, I've installed the driver and tried to work through the setup of a new MIDI input device on my iMac, but nothing.

Can someone please walk me through (idiots guide please!) how to get the SH-201 sounds through my Mac and laid down as a track in Garageband.

Thanks in advance,
Dom.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
I might be wrong (I'm still a GarageBand noob), but unless you use a hack/third-party patch, I don't think you can actually get your keyboard sounds via GarageBand -- I was trying that myself -- but it's the other way around...you basically play the GarageBand sounds via your keyboard...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro Quad 2.66, 1 Gig Ram, 2 x 250GB HDD, 1 500GB HDD---Black MB 2.0 Duo, 2 Gig Ram, 320GB HDD
What kind of MIDI interface are you using? And if you are trying to record the "actual" sound of your rig, then you are going to need a audio interface. You can record all the MIDI data into GB but not any digital audio.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.