Cannot View Videos on YouTube

Reaction score
This is my first post here so please excuse me if I seem ignorant about the iMac.

I have recently purchased an iMac running OS X 10.5.3. I was able to view YouTube videos for about one week after getting my iMac home. Since then, I have been unable to view any videos on YouTube. I seem to be able to view videos on other websites, but not on YouTube.

The error message at the top of every video I try to play says "We're sorry, this video is no longer available." THis is clearly not the case, as I am able to view videos on my machine at work. The problem seems to be between my imac and YouTube.

I have searched on the internet for a solution but have yet to find anything helpful. I have gone into the Disk Utility to verify and repair disk permissions. There was a list of permissions to repair that related to the flash plugin but when repaired there was no difference and I was still unable to watch any YouTube videos.

Perhaps there is a simple solution - I just have no idea what it is or where to start looking. I am willing to try anything at this stage. I really would love to be able to watch the YouTube videos. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I would be so very grateful.

Also, I am sorry if I have posted this thread in the wrong forum. If that is the case, I would ask that an administrator please go ahead and move the thread to the appropriate forum for this particular issue.

Again, many thanks in advance for your kind assistance.

TJ

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is this YouTube Video issue using Safari?

It really sounds like an issue with Flash.

I take it that you have tried many videos on YT and they all get that same error message?

Your running disk utility and having it find issues with permissions on Flash plugin makes me almost sure something is wrong with Flash.

Since you ran that repair have you rebooted your machine?

I seem to remember some other member here at Mac Forums having a Flash issue like that. Try a search here on the forums.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for your response. The issue occurs with both Safari and Firefox browsers. I have tried hundreds of videos. Every single one has the same error message. I ran a reboot (restart, is that the same thing as reboot?) after repairing the disk permissions. I have had a look at the forums and found someone with a similar problem but there did not seem to be any resolution in that thread.

OP
T
Reaction score
I tried everything in the thread above and none of it helps. I can view videos on other websites such as DailyMotion, LinkTV, and all other video websites except YouTube. I honestly do not believe that it is a flash issue. It appears to be a problem with YouTube.

Can anyone think of anything else? I am in Thailand but that should not be an issue. As I mentioned earlier, I canwatch YouTube videos no problem on my PC at work.

This is so frustrating!

Thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for trying, but still no luck. Everything else is working except YouTube. I am going insane.

OP
T
Reaction score
Just bumping this in case anyone else has any ideas. Apologies if bumping a post in this manner is considered inappropriate forum etiquette.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Just bumping this in case anyone else has any ideas. Apologies if bumping a post in this manner is considered inappropriate forum etiquette.

Hey Troy, have just come in on this one. A very similar problem for me last year, and it was resolved by YouTube. It was something about proxies and agreements with my ISP, something had been changed. YT sorted it out, but I had to wait a few days. I understand your frustration, believe me.

I recommend that you contact YT via their email link on their initial page that loads. If you can't even get that far, use a friend's or your work computer, and make sure you give as much detail of the problem as you're able.

And don't be brushed off by your ISP either. It may be a hardware issue on one of their servers. I had a video streaming issue with my ISP and it was only persistent reports (complaints if you will), like speed tests sent to them, and my refusal to accept their stock responses, that saw the problem resolved. That took 5 days!

From what you've posted here so far, it would seem that you've not made any changes to your iMac's network settings, and, as you report, you can view other websites without any trouble.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thank you, Hugh. I guess it is worth a try. I did not consider the ISP simply becuase I am able to view youtube videos on my iPhone while using the same wireless connection that I use with my iMac.

I tried to find a way to contact youtube from their website, but was unable to do so. Do you have an email address or a page link that you can direct me to? I have scoured their site and it appears that contacting them is not an easy task.

Reaction score
Same problem

Hey Troy I'm experiencing exactly the same problem. Got a new iMac a couple of weeks ago. In Bangkok. ISP is TOT. How about you?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.