iPhoto creates duplicates of all my photos!

Reaction score
Hi, i'm a new mac user. Sorry that i have so many questions and problems. I really love the way Mac works but i guess i'm not familiar with many features.

Almost similar to what i posted earlier about my iTunes, my iPhoto actually duplicates my files too. I switched from Windows Vista to Mac recently and I transferred all my files from "My Pictures" to "Pictures" in my Mac. When I started iPhoto, it did a complete search for picture files and added them to iPhoto Library, which again, creates duplicates of all my picture files in the iphoto folder, eating another tens of gigabytes on my HD, containing the exact same files as the originals. However, it fails to import some and puts them in the recovered files folder or something along that line.

What should I do? Should I let iPhoto import my picture files so that those successfully imported are in the iPhoto Library folder while those unsuccessfully imported are in the recovered files folder, and I proceed to deleting all my original picture files in the "Pictures" folder? these are my only copies... If i lose these digital copies of my pictures, I'm done for too.

Really thanks for any help and advice..

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Same thing I told you in your iTunes thread. Look at the pic below. Uncheck that one item. It will leave the pictures where they now reside.

Picture 2.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.