Hard drive space required for Vista Home Premium

Reaction score
Hi,

Can someone tell me how much hard drive space to allocate on my IMAC for Vista Home Premium? It says in the Boot camp installation guide ' a partition larger than 32GB cannot be formatted as a FAT volume. Vista requires 45GB for the software alone, so how does this work??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
Vista does not need 45GB for the installation alone. That would be completely ridiculous...
Vista needs at most 16GB for the system. So add the amount of space you need for storage to that and then you can decide whether to use FAT32 or NTFS... Even if its lower than 32GB I would still use NTFS.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Vista will only install to a NTFS formatted partition. But I agree with your answer regarding how much disk space the OP should create.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
Vista will only install to a NTFS formatted partition. But I agree with your answer regarding how much disk space the OP should create.

Regards.
Really... Vista wont install to FAT32.
Never knew that, thanks! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
In my experience, a 40Gb partition is the minimum I"d suggest for any flavour of Vista, as it's install procedure is quite different than the XP procedure, it needs the extra space to decompress the source files. Just my 2 cents

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm
I'll prob be going with 80 gig on my new MBP, gotta have CAD programs and some games on there! I hate to leave only 120 for mac but w/e.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.