What to do with my old iMac G3?

Reaction score
Okay well. I have an old iMac G3 which is well known as "El Crappo Macco" for quite obvious reasons. It runs Mac OS 9 (fine for some), 6GB hard drive, 129MB of Memory, 233mhZ PPC proccesor, tray loading model, blueberry colour. I tried installing Mac OS X 10.2 on it but the installation froze. Twice.

I don't want to get rid of it, but I want to use it for something else. I'm not that into upgrading it (don't have enough money, and those kind of things scare me :Smirk: ). I thought about turning it into a TV but i researched and found nothing, some kind of music station/CD player (thats pretty much all it can play anyway). Maybe i could somehow use it with my 2 other machines (eMac G4 and Dell inspiron 6400 notebook). It even crossed my mind to completely convert into a fish tank or something like that, but fish like to die one me alot. I researched using it as an external monitor so might end up using it with my emac.

If you have any other ideas for me they would be MUCHLY appreciated.

=]

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
10.2 should have worked with 128Megs RAM. Just not that fast.

Did you check to be sure the Firmware is up to date? If it is not OSX will not install.

I have a Bondi Blue 233 Mhz iMac G3 with 256Megs RAM. I have 10.3 Panther on it. Not really fast but useable.

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll give that a go. Because it was a reject from a university which had been in storage for four years so thats probably what it needs

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That just might do it. You might want to put in a bit more RAM also. Those old Tray Loaders use Laptop SoDIMMS PC100. They will take 2x256 meg sticks. I also have a Grape 333Mhz Tray Loader and it runs 10.3 quite well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 ,1.67 GHz,120 GB hard disk; Slot-Load SuperDrive DVD±RW/CD-RW
I know your not into upgrading... but you could always swap the drive with another that already has OS X installed on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 ,1.67 GHz,120 GB hard disk; Slot-Load SuperDrive DVD±RW/CD-RW
you can buy one, just if you have a hard drive with OS X 10.x.x, just swap it with the one you have installed already

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.