sound has gone in Quicktime with AVI?

Reaction score
yesterday my quicktime player has stopped playing sound on AVI movies.

mp4's work fine. but all my avi's dont.

im running tiger, and fully up to date. and none of my settings were changed.

i googled the problem and found some similar faults saying check in the midi settings that the Hz was still at 44100 and it is..

any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
go and get and install Perian select for anyone who uses this computer and problem solved.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Was it the same file, or a new AVI - Perian just adds wider codec support in Quicktime, any new file you fried might have had a different sound codec not supported by Quictime without perian added

OP
N
Reaction score
Was it the same file, or a new AVI - Perian just adds wider codec support in Quicktime, any new file you fried might have had a different sound codec not supported by Quictime without perian added

no it was all of my AVI's

perian did fix it however. thank you.
but doesnt explain why they worked one day, and then suddenly stopped.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2Ghz, 2GB Ram
I've had this problem too, I think it might be to do with the latest update? I seem to remember an update being released for Airport and something else - I think Quicktime - a couple of days ago, and it's since then that this has happened.

In my case it definitely is happening to files that I had played before and worked fine with sound.

I had just resorted to using VLC, but I'll try this Perian thing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.