Sharing my Airport with a headless Linux box

N

nko

Hi! I've got an iMac, and the iMac's got Airport. I've set it to share its Internet connection with any computer on the ethernet port. I've got a Linux box that will be headless as soon as I can get it talking to the Mac.

I've tried going direct between the computers with a CAT5 cable. I've also tried it with a router. Do I need a crossover cable? Please say I don't need to buy a crossover cable. Every little expense counts, and the crossovers look just like CAT5's, which is obnoxious for organizational purposes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
To connect 2 machine directly together, you will need a crossover cable. Most crossover cables are orange. I am pretty sure that is the standard color. Of course, you could make yourself one. But you would need the tools to do it. You can get a crossover for like $8 a best buy. Well, depending on the length you need.

OP
N

nko

Shucks :)

Interesting idea. How might I make my own? I've got PLENTY ofregular CAT5's. The only crossover cable I've ever bought (a year or two ago) was beige.

OP
H

hokiethang

nko said:
Shucks :)

Interesting idea. How might I make my own? I've got PLENTY ofregular CAT5's. The only crossover cable I've ever bought (a year or two ago) was beige.

I believe you swap the pairs on one end of the cable. Im not sure which pairs, but doing a google search on "cat 5 crossover diagram" should find some more reliable information.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.