boot problem, fubar HD?

Reaction score
hello, im a new user here and have a quite huge problem withmy macbook
i think it all started whene i had to switch the computer off with the master on power button due to the osx completly froze.
so when i started the mac next day, the screen was just gray with no apple logo or anyting. after some research on the apple page was reseting battery memory and PRAM.
after that the logo came on during startup but nothing more happend.
so i restarted while holding down the alt key and selected the HD to boot and then i came into the OSX system, but it seemed like I was loging on for the firsth time there, because the music and picture folder was empty. but the weird thing was that the downloads folder contained the lates downloads from the internet... :s

so when i came from from weekend holliday i tried to boot with the OS X install cd/dvd and run the disc utility tool to repair the disc the error was:
"the underlying tas reported failure on exit"
"invalid sibling link"
"the volume Macintosh HD needs to be repaired"

but when trying to repair the message is it cant be bacause of an error...

and now when trying to start as usual it trying to boot a folder with a question mark (?) just flashes

must the disc be replaced?
* is there any way to download the music, pictures and saved documents? *

and a side question when using the time machine is every documet on the mac copied to the external HD??

thanks in advance for any help
and also im norwegian so there may be some typing errors in here, i hope you would help anyway if you can :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi:

It does appear that your hard drive may be defective. You've run all the proper tests including trying to repair when booted from the install DVD. The "flashing question mark" is usually an indication that the boot drive is inoperative or inaccessible.

As for the data which is on the drive, unless you've been making backups using Time Machine or another backup program it can be very expensive to recover data from a defective hard drive. And yes, Time Machine does backup everything except for some special system files\folders.

You might also want to give "Data Rescue II" a try. It's software which can be used (booted from a CD) that may be able to recover your data from the drive. Go here for information and download:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/1133

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
well i talked to mac popl on the phone so i will recive a new HD in the mail in about 4-5days, so i have to find a guide to replac it by then...
but thanks for the reply chscag. i would try data rescue in the morning, ofcourse is bad that the HD is fubar, but the worst thing is to loose the important files.
but i have time machine backup on an external drive, but maybe a stupid question: is there a music folder pre selected in OSx? is that also on time machine? or have i made that foldr my self? i really dont remember... :s

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Try this to fix an Invalid Sibling Link...
  1. Boot into Single User mode.
  2. Type fsck -yf
  3. Note the filesystem. (For example /dev/disk0s9 )
  4. You can also get the info from Disk Utility, under disk identifier, by selecting your named HDD and select info from the toolbar.
  5. If (and when) repair fails and mentions Invalid Sibling Link...
  6. Type fsck_hfs -r /dev/disk0s9 (replacing disk0s9 with your info for filesystem) It should start repairing.
  7. Type reboot

OP
S
Reaction score
weird thing, im not able to start in single user mode. i have tried several times now and its just booting as regular and then ? folder comes flashing...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.