Firefox 1.0 vs Safari....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" 2.26 GHz MBP, 2GB RAM, 640GB HD
i have used firefox exclusively on my pc for the past few months after my pc was messed up with spyware and viruses that explorer let in. anyways i have been using safari exclusively for the past month since i got my ibook but what has bothered me is that i found is somewhat sluggish, but we are talking 1-2 seconds. anyways i just loaded up firefox and i can tell you that it is snappier than safari and the user interface is pretty much identical. just wanted to give it a recommendation to those who haven't had the chance to try it out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (early 2011) 2,2 i7, 4 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 1 GB ATI 6750M, High-Res AntiGlare Screen
yea... use firefox.... take back the web :D

C

code777

where do you get firefox? i might have to try it, is it really that much better?

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" 2.26 GHz MBP, 2GB RAM, 640GB HD
www.mozilla.org is where you can get firefox.

I stuck with safari b/c my friend who recommended the mac to me SWORE safari was the fastest browser out. But i did a search on google to find some reviews and said what the heck, let me try it out. the one thing i do like about firefox is the customizable themes you can put on the browser. keeps things fresh but of course it's all aesthetics. But as a heavy web surfer, i do notice is noticeably faster for me to start using it and the layout is pretty much identical to safari for someone who is a casual web surfer. Give it a shot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Not to mention that you can customize Firefox with extensions to do pretty much anything you ever wanted to do.. for example FoxyTunes, allows you to control iTunes through Firefox.. very kewl! Or the Tab Browser Extension, which allows you to rearrange the tabs in whichever order you like, and close, reopen, put a close button in the tab, tab colors, duplicate tab.. anything you can think of that you could do with tabs.. well it can do it! Plus the web developer plugin.. so many, it's awesome! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz, Ibook G4 1.33ghz, Powerbook Lombard 333mhz
I don't have a mac yet but and I am using IE but I find Firefox is more sluggish then IE.

D

Desolate One

Firefox more sluggish then IE? That's odd. On my PC I've used IE, Opera, Mozilla, Firebird (old version of Firefox), and now Firefox and I've found Firefox to be the fastest of the lot.

On my mac I've just used Safari. Have no problems w/ it and it's fast enough.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I like Firefox but I won't use it full time until after 1.1 and the "aquafication" happens. In the meantime I'm sticking with Safari or Camino.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I found the Firefox beta to be a little too buggy for me and Safari's appearance has really pleased me and the speed is pretty good for me (I found a program called SafariSpeed to speed it up) so I have been sticking with it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did not realize that the final release came out so I going to give it a while before I give up on FireFox

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Safari is 256 mb RAM friendly, and Firefox sure as **** isn't, so go Safari.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Buying One Soon...
Absolute Zero said:
Safari is 256 mb RAM friendly, and Firefox sure as **** isn't, so go Safari.

I had no problem with Firefox when my iBook had 256MB of RAM.

Firefox > All

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Not to mention I've head Safari 1.3 should be out very soon and it has some major performance improvements...especially with javascript.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is one thing that I have yet to find good performance with on my Mac. I do a lot of java programming in my CS class and I can't run anything on my powerbook because they all run so slow and some don't even run in OS X

J

J427

As far as internet safety is concerned, is Firefox safer to use than Safari? I thought I heard somewhere there were holes in Safari. Can anyone clarify this? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I think they use the same base, so security should be at a similar level for both browsers...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I tried firefox, it was a fraction of a second slower than safari, and as far as security, I think theres not much difference. I really didnt like how firefoxs preferences are, through tabs.
I love safari, its easy to use and faster than most browsers Ive tried. there are NO holes in safari. I personally also use omniweb, it does so much and is WAY better than firefox, and the tabbed browsing in omniweb beats the **** out of safaris tabbed browsing as well.

J

J427

Macman said:
I tried firefox, it was a fraction of a second slower than safari, and as far as security, I think theres not much difference. I really didnt like how firefoxs preferences are, through tabs.
I love safari, its easy to use and faster than most browsers Ive tried. there are NO holes in safari. I personally also use omniweb, it does so much and is WAY better than firefox, and the tabbed browsing in omniweb beats the **** out of safaris tabbed browsing as well.

I took your advice and gave OmniWeb a try. WOW! This thing is freakin' sweet. Expnded my web browsing horizons like I never thought possible. Thanks for the input. :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
it does so much more than you see at first. try creating a folder in the favorites bar, putting a few things in it, and double clicing the folder. and when you post here, you see that little +? that allows you to insert your own formatted text. and you can edit webpages and it has a built in rss feed reader and more. its pretty cool, but safaris still my main browser.:mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
I think alot of this is just personal preference, Omniweb, Firefox, Safari are>than IE, thats all that matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.