On my new iBook...a few questions

Reaction score
OK, so I just got my iBook that I bought off of eBay via USPS today, and I am very excited since this is my first Mac. However, there are a few issues that I have come across, however they might now even be issues.

First, when I start-up it says that the computer is set before a date of 2001 and could cause some applications to run improperly. I reset the date and time, and am wondering if this will cause a problem on every restart? Also, why it keeps asking me my network password everytime I restart, even when I tell it to remember this Network?

Also, the previous user has his name all over everything. For instance, on the Log-In screen it says "Previous Owner's Computer" and also in Finder it has "previous owner" next to the Home icon. Is there a way to change it to my name?

Lastly, the battery no longer holds a charge, so where would the best place be to buy a new battery for the laptop?

Thanks, and sorry if the questions are n00bish, Im a Mac n00b.

*Sorry for the long post.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The iBooks use a capacitor to keep the settings in case you remove the battery. If the battery is totally dead and will not even charge at all, that is why your settings are not saving like your Time and Date. I will look around for a new battery, but you might try OWC as they are a very good company to deal with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
Did you get the original instal discs with your ibook? If not, I would recommend calling apple and getting a hold of some. Should run you $40 or so. They have invaluable tools on them that will help fix, restore and repair your ibook. What are your ibook specs? What version of the os do you have?

Re-installing the os with the original install discs, or upgrading the os will give you a clean start and remove the previous names and settings and allow you to set them to whatever you want.

I highly recommend erasing the hard drive and re-installing the os. Always a good practice with a used mac.

OP
N
Reaction score
Did you get the original instal discs with your ibook? If not, I would recommend calling apple and getting a hold of some. Should run you $40 or so. They have invaluable tools on them that will help fix, restore and repair your ibook. What are your ibook specs? What version of the os do you have?

Re-installing the os with the original install discs, or upgrading the os will give you a clean start and remove the previous names and settings and allow you to set them to whatever you want.

I highly recommend erasing the hard drive and re-installing the os. Always a good practice with a used mac.

No original install discs came with the iBook. I will contact the previous owner and ask if he has them and if he could send them to me. I am running Leopard 10.5.3 I believe. The specs of the machine are 1.33GHz, 1.25GB RAM, 14'' screen, 60 GB HD although it is saying with most things removed that there is only 33GB and change free....

I would do that, but Im not that familiar with Macs and if I were to call Apply I dont know what I would ask for....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
Its up to you if you want to do a clean install of 10.5. Do you have the 10.5 disc? If you do, I'd say wait and see if you can get the original install discs that came with the ibook. If any thing goes wrong while re-installing 10.5, your sunk without the original discs.

Changing the user name in leopard should be pretty easy. Just go into system preferences>accounts and then change the name.

Changing the short name (the one you see in finder) Is still a little tricky.
Haven't changed mine and I don't mess with it. I searched apple's site and it looks like it isn't easy to change it in leopard either. I could be wrong, and of someone knows an easy way, please speak up.

The best I could find was creating a new account for your self with admin privileges and then deleting the other user. When you do this, it may ask for the admin password. If it asks, and you don't have the admin password, you'll need to do this step:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/11627.html

And if you don't have the 10.5 disc, forget that I bothered you and enjoy your mac!

And if you fill compelled to call apple, you'll just tell them that you bought a used ibook and you need to purchase replacement install discs for your it. Haven't worked tech support in about a year, but they sold the discs when I left.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 14gb ram 24" LED Cd & 23" Cd
Call Apple and simply tell them you need restore discs for you macbook. Tell them the specs and they will maybe charge you a small fee. The disc will then re-install everything and you can personalize the mac with your information.

The only 'right' way to do it.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks, I will work on calling apple and see what I can do about getting some system restore disks.

One other thing ive noticed is that when I close the laptop it logs me offline and kicks me off my wireless connection. Is this a setting that can be changed in preferences or what?

OP
N
Reaction score
No one knows how to not let the laptop kick you off of your airport or iChat when you close the laptop itself.

Everytime I close the laptop, it kicks me off of iChat and off of my network and then I have to re put in the password to my network...Should I have to retype my password into my network every time I get kicked off of Airport?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What version of OSX is on that iBook? All Mac laptops go into standby when the lid is closed, but when you lift the lid it should rejoin the network without retyping the password. That is why I need to know your exact OSX version so I can tell you what to do.

You are talking about a WiFi network and WEP, WPA, ETC password?

OP
N
Reaction score
The version of OSX that Im running is 10.5.3, and yes it consistently asks me for my WiFi network password, everytime I shut the lid and reopen it. WEP I believe, could be wrong.

Thanks.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am running 10.5.3 here. It saves the passwords and never asks me. Tiger was a bit different in it's airport setup. I have been looking around in 10.5. See no save password checkbox. When the requester comes up and asks for your password, does it not also have a check box that says Save Password?

I just tried it with a neighbors just to check. Do you have Remember this Connection checked?

OP
N
Reaction score
I am running 10.5.3 here. It saves the passwords and never asks me. Tiger was a bit different in it's airport setup. I have been looking around in 10.5. See no save password checkbox. When the requester comes up and asks for your password, does it not also have a check box that says Save Password?

I just tried it with a neighbors just to check. Do you have Remember this Connection checked?

Yeah, maybe it has something to do with the battery no longer working, that maybe it stores those kind of things. However, I keep the "Remember this Connection" box checked everytime I enter my password.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Passwords like that are normally stored in the Keychain. I will do some probing around and get back to you. They should be saving.

Ok, try this, open Keychain Access. Click on Passwords. Look for Airport Network Password. Delete those entrys. Close the Keychain Access. Then try and see if they save.

Also repair the Keychain using Keychain First Aid.

OP
N
Reaction score
No passwords are showing up in my Keychain Access, but I made it one of my known networks and it still does the same thing everytime I shut the lid.

When it wakes, box pops up asking me what network I want to join, and then I have to retype my password, for some reason it is not joining the network automatically...?

As far as I know it should rejoin the known/prefferred networks automatically....rite?

Reaction score
To change the short name to your own name instead of 'Previous Owner's Computer' (in OS X Leopard, not sure about Tiger or Panther), go to System Preferences, click 'Sharing', and it will display at the top 'Computer Name:'. Erase the text and put in your own name.

OP
N
Reaction score
To change the short name to your own name instead of 'Previous Owner's Computer' (in OS X Leopard, not sure about Tiger or Panther), go to System Preferences, click 'Sharing', and it will display at the top 'Computer Name:'. Erase the text and put in your own name.

Thanks, just changed it!

Although I am still having the same problem with the network remembering the password. It does not ask me to add the password to my password keychain? Any clue why ? It still doesn't remember my network password and I have to retype it in everytime the computer sleeps. HELP!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No passwords are showing up in my Keychain Access, but I made it one of my known networks and it still does the same thing everytime I shut the lid.

When it wakes, box pops up asking me what network I want to join, and then I have to retype my password, for some reason it is not joining the network automatically...?

As far as I know it should rejoin the known/prefferred networks automatically....rite?

Did you repair the keychain?

OP
N
Reaction score
Yes, repaired the keychain, but after diagnosis completed it said there were no problems were found...

OP
N
Reaction score
Any help? Don't mean to push the topic, but just a little frustrating that it doesn't automatically rejoin the network. Just little things like that bother me sometimes. Thanks.

Also, best place to buy a battery for my iBook ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.