MacBook WiFi

Reaction score
I basically made my decision to buy a apple macbook middle of the line. I went to Fry's Electronics and Best Buy today to get a first hand touch on it and see how friendly it is. The design was very sleek and the video seems ok to me. At this time anything is better than my 10 year old desktop lol. I wanted to wait for the upgrade but right now I have no computer since the hard drive broke down (3 in 2 years!) couldn't resist the temptation to get an macbook. I must admit it's much easier to navigate than window xp. I wanted to try the keyboard for myself since some users on here say it's uncomfortable. For me it's ok the pad is very sturdy and have a feel to it, just take a while to get use to the spacing. I also investigated the crack part that some users said have crack next to the trackpad. After pushing down on that spot it seems durable enough so I was satisfy.

Ok to the main question as I'm using it for college. I want to know what's the range of the wifi on the macbook. I have read some post on here that it has better wifi than the macbook. I was wondering is there a possibility that it can receive signals from a mile away? My school is pretty big so I just wanted to make sure because I want it to be a portable machine. Do you guys think it can run window xp and the leopard in a 160gb hardrive smoothly. I'm asking incase if I run into some trouble using the leopard I can just switch over to window xp because I have never use any apple computers.

Also which ipod will you guys recommend with the student promotion. The Ipod touch or the Ipod nano. This is a pretty tough decision since I do jogg sometime at the park with my dog, so the Ipod Touch is kind of large. However, I do want to use the wifi capibilities incase I forget to bring my macbook to school.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
"I have read some post on here that it has better wifi than the macbook."

Sorry, what has better wifi than what?

I don't think it's possible to receive signals from a mile away. You should be able to run XP and Leopard side by side just fine...

I'd get the iPod Touch myself - cos it's well cool!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I agree, a mile is asking a bit much from standard wi-fi. Are you sure the school doesn't have more than one access point to cover the whole campus?

OP
S
Reaction score
I dont really know this will be my first year transferring to a university. I only went to a small college before this. The university is pretty big so I was just asking. I meant that the macbook had better wifi than a macbook pro sorry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
I would have thought the macbook and macbook pro wifi would be about the same considering that it's the same card.

A big uni will probably have lots of wifi access points in the various buildings and other spots around campus.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Mac Book 2.4GHZ, 2GB
don't worry too much about the wireless range, you'll see that even in a single room you can find many access points ;)

and yes definitely a big uni will have plenty of access points

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I dont really know this will be my first year transferring to a university. I only went to a small college before this. The university is pretty big so I was just asking. I meant that the macbook had better wifi than a macbook pro sorry.

Supposedly, the MacBook has better reception for WiFi than the MacBook Pro because of its case. Plastic versus aluminum. I've never tested it and am only repeating what others have told me. O:)

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.