iPhone 3G without Service Plan?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro4,1 2.4 GHz 4 GB 800 MHz
Pay-as-you-go iPhone in UK?

I am in the UK and you can buy iPhones without service plans, so it must be possible.
How, I don't know.

I'm part of the 240K laid-off-in-October statistic so cellphone free. Resisting purchase of US cellphone/two year contract as moving to UK in the spring. Is there a pay-as-you-go plan for iPhone in UK? If yes, provider? Thx!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP - 24" white iMac - 16gb white iphone3G - 20gb iPod colour
I'm part of the 240K laid-off-in-October statistic so cellphone free. Resisting purchase of US cellphone/two year contract as moving to UK in the spring. Is there a pay-as-you-go plan for iPhone in UK? If yes, provider? Thx!

Yeah ya can buy in uk o2 without contract. On pay as you go I think it costs from £350 for 8gb and £390 for the 16gb one. I think ya get 6 months free data aswell.

Cheers

Reaction score
I am looking at the same, but don't even want to use it as a phone...

I have the ipod touch, but it doesn't have the speaker or video capabilities - is it possible to get an iphone but have it tied to no services AND still be able to use the features ?

The AT&T people tell me I can't do this - that I have to activate the phone to use it and if I cancel the service, it deactivates everything....

I know - the new itouch has the speakers built in, but it doesn't do any video or camera functions.... just wondering.

I bet Apple could sell the bejesus out of the iphone if you could activate it with any carrier - I love my US Cellular and am not going to part with it... and not sure if whatever US Cellular sells that they claim is just like the iphone will work with my itunes....

Anyone have any ideas ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Buy a phone off eBay or craigslist. Jailbrake it and you can use it without service.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
i paid outright for 3G iPhone from Vodafone July 08 and swapped the SIM card from Nokia into iPhone and have used it for last 12 months no data plan and it runs on GSM 2.5 no problem. Just need WiFi to get on line which is no sweat. No jailbreak needed.

Reaction score
no plan

I called AT&T yesterday and cancelled my $30 per month data plan in order to save money (tks economy). I told them I have an old Razor, which I do, and planned to remove SIM card from iphone and replace it into Razor. I have not done this yet and internet works perfectly where WiFi is available. Don't know if it will last, but there ya go.

Reaction score
I had a very similar question. Basically, I want an ipod touch with gps...would it be possible to pretty much get that by getting iphone 3g w/out a service plan?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had a very similar question. Basically, I want an ipod touch with gps...would it be possible to pretty much get that by getting iphone 3g w/out a service plan?

Ummm...Yes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Two 2.26GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
i paid outright for 3G iPhone from Vodafone July 08 and swapped the SIM card from Nokia into iPhone and have used it for last 12 months no data plan and it runs on GSM 2.5 no problem. Just need WiFi to get on line which is no sweat. No jailbreak needed.

So can you acsadently use internet and get charged like crazy for it? Or is that a thing of the past? My friend a few years back was using internet without a plan and got a $500 bill! I dont want that to happen.

I want an iPhone so bad but dont want to pay $30 for the data plan. And because my house and work is located were there is no service it would be a wast of money. I just want to use it on wifi.
You said you bought one from Vodafone??? If i but an iPhone 3Gs off Apple web site can I just put my simcard in it and it will work, and disable edge? Or would I have you resign a contract and get them to remove the data plan? How would I make this work? Im on a family plan now.

Also, Im up for renewal. I love the great deals you can get on a phone. I would think I should first go get a "normal" phone and renew my contract then get an iPhone because you can just renew you contract for 2 years at any point. That way I have an extra no contract phone around that I can sell or keep encase I change my mind someday about the iPhone. Thoughts anyone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So can you acsadently use internet and get charged like crazy for it? Or is that a thing of the past? My friend a few years back was using internet without a plan and got a $500 bill! I dont want that to happen.

I want an iPhone so bad but dont want to pay $30 for the data plan. And because my house and work is located were there is no service it would be a wast of money. I just want to use it on wifi.
You said you bought one from Vodafone??? If i but an iPhone 3Gs off Apple web site can I just put my simcard in it and it will work, and disable edge? Or would I have you resign a contract and get them to remove the data plan? How would I make this work? Im on a family plan now.

Also, Im up for renewal. I love the great deals you can get on a phone. I would think I should first go get a "normal" phone and renew my contract then get an iPhone because you can just renew you contract for 2 years at any point. That way I have an extra no contract phone around that I can sell or keep encase I change my mind someday about the iPhone. Thoughts anyone?
Read this whole thread and let us know if you have any questions after :p

Already answered: you need the data plan. you buy a iphone at discounted price it requires data plan and new contract. you can not remove data after purchase if you plan to continue using the iphone. you can not just buy the phone and put sim card in hoping you wont get charged for data. you will and att will most likely automatically add the 30 data plan to your account.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
If you jailbroke the phone there are options to turn off Edge/3G that way you won't get charged for data.

Reaction score
Hello.

I'm from Germany and i'm travelling to Florida next week. My plan is to buy an iPhone there, but I wonder that even the Apple Stores are not selling the iPhone without 2year contract... In some forums I read about 3rd party sellers like ebay etc. but that is not the way i want to do it...

Is there any chance to buy the Phone without being forced to sign a contract for two years? For my primitive understanding of business it makes no sense not even giving the customer the possibility to buy it without any commitments, of course with the lack of paying a higher price... Buy the way, it would be kind of criminal to cut the customers freedom of decision by forcing him to sign with one special provider without giving him the possibility to buy the Phone for the full price and without any contract. And the other thing: i agree with some posts that at&t has no possibility to disable the wifi function when you cancel your service plan, the wifi-module has nothing in common with the EDGE module in the phone, the one thing is web access via mobile cell network, the other thing is web access via wlan, am I right?

In Europe you get the 3gs 16gb for around 700 euros without contract, officially in Apple Stores! So the United States are well known in Europe as an Apple Wonderland with much more lower prices for these products than in Europe. When I compare the pricing relation with other Apple products, than the 3gs has to be around 600$...

So if you can give me some advice where to buy the iPhone in the US without any contract, I would appreciate it!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.